Cycling coast of Wales

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tridantri

Cycling coast of Wales

Post by tridantri »

Hi, I am looking at cycling around the coast of wales, from Chepstow to Chester. I am looking for advise on a route as I can find nothing of any use on the internet. My criteria for the ride is that I should stay as close to the coast as possible but not to the point of it making the cycling less enjoyable than it should be.
The only place I have been to in Wales is Snowdonia, for walking, so I am not sure of the quality of the roads. It is difficult to avoid A-roads when trying to stay next to the coast. How heavy is the traffic likely to be on theses?

If anybody has any advice on roads to avoid, must sees etc. that would be great.
theDaveB

Re: Cycling coast of Wales

Post by theDaveB »

John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Much of the North West & North Coast has a Sustrans traffic free route.
There are also several other sections in Mid & West Wales.
Have a look at the Sustrans web site to see details & download.
Enjoy your trip.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Go to RideWithGPS.com and 'plan' a route. Pull up Wales and view the OSM Cycle map. That highlights all the bike routes.

I am riding Chester to Bangor (the north coast) on NCN 5, which runs along the coast the whole way, so I would suggest that be your route of choice.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

mcallaghan wrote:Go to RideWithGPS.com and 'plan' a route. Pull up Wales and view the OSM Cycle map. That highlights all the bike routes.

I am riding Chester to Bangor (the north coast) on NCN 5, which runs along the coast the whole way, so I would suggest that be your route of choice.

NCN5 doesn't run along the whole coast, it climbs a massive hill out of Bagilt up to the top of the Berwyn ridge (I think) then along ridge to Gronant then back to coast, even with the new Talacre extension you'd have about 6 miles of the coast road from Bagilt to Talacre (through Mostyn/Mostyn Dock/Fun ship/Abakhan stretch), this bit doesn't bother me but it freaks lots of people out - mostly the shoddy overtakes by caravanners being the problem.