Gloucester to west Wales - any suggestions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
johnnyhamster

Gloucester to west Wales - any suggestions

Post by johnnyhamster »

Any recommendations for crossing South Wales , starting at Gloucester and ending at Haverfordwest / Fishguard (so I can pick up a train back to Southampton) - I'd be staying as Hostels / B&Bs and would love to ride over Gospel Pass.
Thanks
mcallaghan

Re: Gloucester to west Wales - any suggestions

Post by mcallaghan »

I would suggest riding to Chepstow, then take NCN 42 (I believe) up and over the Gospel pass, then hop on NCN 8 (South towards Cardiff) until it joins the Celtic Trail. Then I'd take the Celtic Trail West all the way to fishguard. Or at least start looking at those routes to get an idea.
johnnyhamster

Post by johnnyhamster »

Thanks, Chepstow's a good idea as I would actually be starting from Stroud. I just used Gloucester as a reference, being the nearest Severn crossing point.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've just planned a lap of Wales which crosses the Severn Bridge, over the Brecons, round the bottom corner and up the coast

If you are on ridewithgps and send me a friend request you are welcome to view the route. My name on the system is Martin Nichols and my nickname is Martin
pwa

Post by pwa »

I would avoid the Port Talbot / Swansea section of the Celtic Trail. A lot of it is grim. You are probably better off staying further north until you are past Swansea. Sustrans routes are of limited use in South Wales. They often link areas of industrial decline, created as a regeneration project. They work well for local communities, but they are not ideal for visitors.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I'd go further north: from Gloucester, cross the Wye at Hoarwithy, and then either Abergavenny or Hay, Brecon, Llandeilo, Carmarthen
1gunsalute

Post by 1gunsalute »

From Gospel Pass I'd keep heading almost due west: Brecon, Llandovery, Prescelli Hills, Fishguard.
I'd recommend staying at the Royal Oak at Rhandirmwyn http://www.theroyaloakinn.co.uk/Site/welcome.html
johnnyhamster

Post by johnnyhamster »

Like the idea of the Preseli Hills and Rhandirmwyn , I remember passing through the latter many years ago when we visited three remote YHs in the area.
I'll be traveling light so a pub doing a single room would be ideal. I'd welcome any more reccomendations for places to say in or around Abergavenny , Brecon and Newcastle Emlyn.
How about Brecon to Llandovery avoiding the A40 - over the Myndd Epynd and back down via Llanwrtyd Wells?
AllanJ

Post by AllanJ »

The hostel at Rhandirmwyn has been closed for years, but Dolgoch and Tyncornel are still open - if you go through Llandovery you could stop at one of them overnight then across to Tregaron or Lampeter.

From Brecon to Llandovey there are some great roads north of the Black Mountain and through Myddfai.

Allan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

AllanJ wrote:The hostel at Rhandirmwyn has been closed for years, but Dolgoch and Tyncornel are still open - if you go through Llandovery you could stop at one of them overnight then across to Tregaron or Lampeter.

From Brecon to Llandovey there are some great roads north of the Black Mountain and through Myddfai.

Allan

Bryn Poeth Uchaf (upper warm field) was the hostel near Rhandirmwyn, no access for motors but not far from Cynghordy station, +1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Stay north of the A40 all the way. If going via Gloucester its pleasant. Masses of B roads, cross the Wye at Monmouth or Ross and head south of Hereford. Can't think of any of the A roads before Brecon worth riding and I'll bet that they don't change afterwards.
Via Chepstow go up the Wye no further than St Arvans, then aim roughly north west until you cross the A40.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I did the Celtic Traill a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it

Beware of Fishguard though, there are very few trains a day!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cunobelin wrote:I did the Celtic Traill a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it

MArgam Country Park (Port Talbot) was a mixed blessing.

A ridiculously impassable "Gate"

.. but then spent an hour watching an episode of "Merlin" being filmed
climo

Post by climo »

Cunobelin wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:I did the Celtic Traill a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it

So how did you get through that with a trike?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

climo wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

So how did you get through that with a trike?

Cheated.......

I was simply very lucky.

I was sat looking at alternative routes that did not involve the A48 when along came a van with props for the Merlin filming and opened the adjacent gate!

Otherwise it was a long detour