Dilema - mud-guards or wider tyres

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
andrew_s

Re: Dilema - mud-guards or wider tyres

Post by andrew_s »

bigjim wrote:One of the lads at the club runs his rear mudguard over the top of the brake bridge to achieve clearance. he just trims the guard with a stanley knife so it will fit between the narrow stays.

You can get rear mudguards that are in two sections, either with a bridge connecting the two sections over the top of the brake (eg Salmon) or with a section each side of the pinch point above the tyre.
chris_suffolk

Re: Dilema - mud-guards or wider tyres

Post by chris_suffolk »

andrew_s wrote:
bigjim wrote:One of the lads at the club runs his rear mudguard over the top of the brake bridge to achieve clearance. he just trims the guard with a stanley knife so it will fit between the narrow stays.

You can get rear mudguards that are in two sections, either with a bridge connecting the two sections over the top of the brake (eg Salmon) or with a section each side of the pinch point above the tyre.

The crud guards I have, split into two, and narrow under the brake to allow them to fit - but not with a 25mm tyre I suspect as it's already tight with 23mm.

As to going over the brake, my seat stay is single until the brake where it splits either side of the wheel, so would have to be two sections each starting at the stay (how would they be attached) or would have to widen to allow an inch or more of stay to pass through the centre - not seen guards in either of these configurations - unless you know different.

Suspect I will go with the majority on here and stick to some new 23mm tyres (though not totally sure which ones yet - Durano Plus which I already have, or new set or Vredestein Tricomp as the current pair have been great so far ) and the crud guards