Dilema - mud-guards or wider tyres

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

I'm cycling Dover to Cape Wrath in the summer on my road bike (supported tour). Currently run 23mm tyres, but it's been suggested 25mm may be more comfortable over that distance (1000 miles in 2 weeks).

Problem is I can't go 25mm and fit my mud-guards as there isn't enough clearance on the frame / brakes. Do I go with existing 23mm and keep the guards, or ditch the guards in favour of 25mm? Going in August, but can't guarentee dry weather / roads even at that time of year

Thoughts, and reasoning, appreciated, thanks

Chris
tatanab

Re: Dilema - mud-guards or wider tyres

Post by tatanab »

Stick with mudguards. If it rains for a few consecutive days you will be very uncomfortable, more so than a bit of vibration etc from the narrow tyre.

If you want look at a wider tyre then remember that not all manufacturer's sizes are the same. A 25 in Michelin Pro 4 is very tall when compared to a 25 Continental 4 Seasons. I have cycle camped with both these tyres with no comfort problem due to tyres, so carrying nothing I would not expect you to have any issues.
pwa

Post by pwa »

If you decide to stick with 23mm try to find a supple variety to give the plushest ride that a 23mm can manage. I'm no expert in 23mm (only go down to 25mm) but in 25 mm I find GP 4 Seasons very supple and fast, and they wear okay.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

you could go to 25 tyres and fit some Raceblades or similar which would give you more comfort (possibly) and keep you fairly dry :D
I'd look at Conti Gatorskins which have great puncture protection and wear characteristics - you might even squeeze in the 28mm tyres :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Ideal excuse to buy a new bike, no? :)
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Thanks for the replies - still undecided. Had a chat with local shop earlier, and they didn't come down one way or the other either

I've a pair of new(ish) Schwelbe Durano Plus in 23mm, which I used in Scotland year before last - don't recall them being uncomfortable, so may go with them and guards I have. They will run down to 85psi, which is quite low for a 23mm, so could be a plan.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I may be unusual but i couldn't tell the difference between 23mm and 25mm gatorskins. I would stick with the mudguards as doing without them will make a very noticeable difference if the weather is at all wet
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Hiya,

probably not amazingly useful to your situation, but I ran 700x38c tyres on my hybrid bike for touring and recently built a new bike intending to go for thinner tyres as I insist on full mudguards with flaps. They save me and save my bike from all the crap and rain etc. I wouldn't go long distance without mudguards it's as simple as that, well I decided to do an experiment I went from 700 x 38c right down to 700 x 28c and i am a fully loaded tourer, I felt just as stable, rolled faster and still had my mudguards..

I would say whatever it takes but keep your mudguards!
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

stewartpratt wrote:Ideal excuse to buy a new bike, no? :)

[emoji23]I like your thinking. Yes why not join the skint but happy brigade? That's me...b

EDIT: Sorry mudguards...I run with them all year round. I just can't be doing with all the extra cleaning, maintenance and wear on the bike. I'm too old and ugly now.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I've switched between 23 and 25 a few times, and to be honest I don't notice a lot of difference, it's marginal at best. There's more difference in the construction of the tyre than width will get you.

However guards do make a massive difference and essential for a tour like that IMO. So keep the mudguards!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Full length mudguards don't need much extra space over the thickness of the plastic if you abandon the official fittings and attach them using zip ties instead (based on SKS P35/45).

At the fork crown and brake bridge, put two pairs of holes in the 'guard, in a front/back direction, and far enough to the side to clear the high point of the tyre, and run a zip tie down through one hole of the pair, up through the other hole, over the top of the brake bridge or fork crown shoulder, and back to itself.
I use the reamer bit of a Swiss Army knife, and a hot spoke to seal the edges of the holes.

Full length mudguards with adequate extra flaps will keep most road spray off you and your companions.
To keep spray off following riders you need a rear flap that reaches to within about 10 cm of the ground, and to keep spray of your feet you need a front flap that reaches within 5 cm of the ground, and is reasonably (10-15 cm) wide. If the rear mudguard doesn't extend past the brake bridge, you'll get fairly wet from the end of your shorts downwards, and if the front mudguard doesn't extend far enough forwards of the forks you'll get a bit of spray that's flicked forwards off the top of the wheel blown back onto your hands/arms/face (depending on speed).
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Crud Roadracers http://www.crudproducts.com/roadracer-mk2/

They reckon if you've got 4mm of clearance above the tyre, they will fit.

I used the original Crudracers on my road bike with 23mm tyres for my LEJOG.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Norman H wrote:Crud Roadracers http://www.crudproducts.com/roadracer-mk2/

They reckon if you've got 4mm of clearance above the tyre, they will fit.

I used the original Crudracers on my road bike with 23mm tyres for my LEJOG.

I've got a set of crud catcher II's, which are good when set up right. Consensus seems to be guards over 25mm - thanks
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I too world take mudguards if there was a good chance of wet weather.

However, I’d splurge on a pair of properly supple 23 mm tyres. Perhaps something like the Vittoria Open Corsa. Supple tyres make a big difference in comfort compared to tyres designed for puncture resistance or low cost. The 23 mm Durano Plus weighs 340 g. A lightweight tyre may feel radically smoother on coarse tarmac. You would be more likely to get a puncture, but I’d gladly run that risk.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

One of the lads at the club runs his rear mudguard over the top of the brake bridge to achieve clearance. he just trims the guard with a stanley knife so it will fit between the narrow stays.