Spalding to Fosdyke Bridge

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mistik-ka

Spalding to Fosdyke Bridge

Post by Mistik-ka »

Mrs. M-k and I are about to set out for a week on Alderney and then six weeks on a grand and foolish "In Search of Beeston" tour on our tandem around East Anglia, the Midlands, and the North of England. We leave April 11th, so is my last query about routing before we sent out.

Has anyone any recent experience of the route from Spalding to Fosdyke Bridge along the south bank of the Welland? Google Earth shows it as all well and good until the last mile-and-a-half or so before Fosdyke Bridge. At this point Marsh Road turns into South Bank Road, but it appears to become a private road at this point, signposted "Private Road — No Unauthorized Access — Gated Road". (Not exactly welcoming.) The cycle route turns left onto Old Sea Bank and then turns right along the bank of the river, eventually rejoined South Bank Road. Google Earth's Image of this route doesn't look very inviting either — especially if it's been raining — but the satellite image is dated 2006. Has there been any improvement — or deterioration, come to that — since then?

Thanks in advance.
pete75

Re: Spalding to Fosdyke Bridge

Post by pete75 »

Haven't been along there for some years now. If you want to know what it's currently like I suggest you contact Alf or Teresa Webb at the Bike Inn. They live and work about half way along your proposed route to Fosdyke. http://www.bike-inn.co.uk/default.asp
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Thanks pete75. I followed your suggestion and got a prompt reply from Alf.

What a fine community this is! :D
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Thought you'd get one quickly Alf's a sound chap.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

So what state's it in, please?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

mjr wrote:So what state's it in, please?

Alf reported that it's a good road until that last stretch west of Fosdyke Bridge, and that the gated farm road "is rideable and with care you can miss the holes and manage without punctures or damage. You will not be stopped by farm officials on a bike and during the day will probably be open anyway."

Sounds pretty good to me. :)

Now if the cycling gods will just send sunshine and a following breeze … :wink: