Renting a bike for a tour in Sweden

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
agaske111

Renting a bike for a tour in Sweden

Post by agaske111 »

Hello,

I am looking to do a tour in Sweden while I am there in July. I don't have a suitable touring bike (plus paniers) and wondered if it might be possible to hire a one for a week? I saw the route from Gothenburg to Halden is often mentioned as a great journey, but that would make the hiring of a bike even more complicated as we'd pick it up and drop it off in different locations.

I know one option is to do a self-guided tour through a company, but they all seem so expensive and I'd really like to keep the costs down. We'd probably camp the whole time, and most of the self guided tours involve hotels which drive the price up.

It might be the case that a round trip is the best thing to do, so if anyone has any recommendations of a good route that would also be much appreciated. We are looking to do about 4-5 days.

As you can probably tell, we have no idea what we'll do, how we'll do it, or even where we'll go. We just would love to spend a few days cycling around and camping. With no cycling equipment (we have all the camping stuff) it is certainly a bit complicated, so any wisdom/insight/advice would be very warmly welcomed!

Thanks!