Most useful bit of touring kit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gregoryoftours

Most useful bit of touring kit

Post by gregoryoftours »

Hello, there was a really good thread a few weeks ago asking for people's favorite/most useful bit of touring kit, I can't for the life of me find it again, does anyone have a link?
Mine anyway are an Ortlieb rack pack m size - it's basically like a heavy duty waterproof duffel bag - much more useful than a waterproof stuff sack cos of the way it opens, can store tent, camping mat etc in it, and keep it in the awning or next to your head if you're bivying, easy to get stuff out in the night.
rack pack.jpg

Also Arno securing straps -
arno.jpg
arno.jpg (5.87 KiB) Viewed 2055 times
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.96 KiB) Viewed 2055 times

They are way more secure than bungees, stronger, the buckle is really secure and tightens very effectively and easily, also very quick and easy to release. Very useful for tying bike on trains ferries etc, as a belt, normal bungee tasks etc.
Also thread for strong repairs on road, dental floss is really good - incredibly strong and minty fresh too. I've repaired rucksacks and sandals with it before. I have heard the Inuit people use it for sewing too - dunno whether that's true or not.
I would really like to find the original thread again (no pun intended), it was a really good one.