Budget Tourer Advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bicycler

Re: Budget Tourer Advice

Post by Bicycler »

dakari-mane wrote:Both second hand & shop bought have advantages & disadvantages. The option should be explored, particularly in a thread entitled BUDGET tourer advice.

But we are advising an individual not discussing how we might go about getting the biggest bang for our buck. The OP specifically mentions their inexperience. In that context I think it is incumbent upon us to mention the potential pitfalls if suggesting buying 2nd hand.

Let's be clear that none of the bikes mentioned by the OP is close to BSO territory. Yes, new bike builds can be bad. However, the buyer is protected by all kinds of consumer legislation, primarily the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. If something is wrong, the retailer is obliged to have it fixed. In addition all bike manufacturers warranty their new bikes, many retailers offer a free follow up service and some retailers have returns policies which allow the bike to be returned for a refund or exchange if the customer is unhappy with the bike for any reason.

In contrast, a private buyer (even buying through eBay) has no protection unless the bike was stolen (another pitfall) or the seller lied when describing the item. The latin phrase caveat emptor is used to describe the legal status of this type of transaction. It means "let the buyer beware". Sound advice I think.
honesty

Re: Budget Tourer Advice

Post by honesty »

Also have a look at Ash Cycles for bargains (though from a recent post it seems they can be a bit annoying on delivery) http://www.ashcycles.com/site/bikes/tourer

Basically any bike you can get is going to be pretty decent for what you want. Some may be slightly more expensive from others, but if you can get discounted versions that helps. I'd personally be leaning towards a steel frame, but that's probably more previous experience with cheapo aluminium frames than anything else.