Is insurance for a tour in Europe a worthwhile purchase?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
martin113

Re: Is insurance for a tour in Europe a worthwhile purchase?

Post by martin113 »

Could you tell us what company you used for that policy, Bainbridge. It sounds ideal.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Sports cover direct. Cycle touring is selectable from their drop down list of sporting activities.

I just took the bronze package:

Medical Expenses & Repatriation
£10,000,000

Personal Liability
£2,000,000

Baggage and Personal Effects
£1,000

Delayed Baggage
x

Sports equipment
£200

Legal Expenses & Advice
£25,000

Search & Rescue
£15,000

SAFI (Scheduled airline failure)
£250

Cancellation & Curtailment
£1,000

Personal Accident
£10,000

Travel delay, Abandonment and Missed Departure
£1,000

Activity Pack
£150

Money and Documents
£200

Catastrophe
£150

Hijack
£300

Inconvenience Benefit
£100

Personal Assistance
Included

Total £26
robing

Post by robing »

That's great and there annual multi trip for Europe is only £40 and that allows for up to 90 days for a single trip.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

bainbridge wrote:Sports cover direct. Cycle touring is selectable from their drop down list of sporting activities.

Thanks for the link - £8.32 for silver to cover 2 week UK based tour. Only really interested in covering prebooked accomodation costs in case or illness or accident - so great.
oneten

Post by oneten »

bainbridge wrote:Sports cover direct. Cycle touring is selectable from their drop down list of sporting activities.

[...]
Total £26

Hope your tour went well and was enjoyable and incident free, bainbridge.
I've just been given a very reasonable quote by said insurance company but when looking at the small print they will not cover certain medical conditions that must be declared. Presumably they send a separate form / questionnaire for this?
And does that mean that they will still provide the same cover but just without that for pre-existing medical conditions?

I'd be grateful for any advice on this because other companies who do cover liabilities arising from the medical conditions load the policy accordingly, in my case with the CTC insurance, almost £200 extra!
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

oneten wrote:Hope your tour went well and was enjoyable and incident free, bainbridge.
I've just been given a very reasonable quote by said insurance company but when looking at the small print they will not cover certain medical conditions that must be declared. Presumably they send a separate form / questionnaire for this?
And does that mean that they will still provide the same cover but just without that for pre-existing medical conditions?

I'd be grateful for any advice on this because other companies who do cover liabilities arising from the medical conditions load the policy accordingly, in my case with the CTC insurance, almost £200 extra!

My experience is that you agree to an exclusion - but that was for a long-term medical condition that would have been unlikely to require treatment that couldn't wait until I got home. On the other hand if you had a heart condition or were prone to black-outs then I'd imagine that it might well be different.

Your best bet is probably to ring up the company and ask them, although you may need to go through the process of declaring your condition to get a specific answer.
oneten

Post by oneten »

andymiller wrote:My experience is that you agree to an exclusion - but that was for a long-term medical condition that would have been unlikely to require treatment that couldn't wait until I got home. On the other hand if you had a heart condition or were prone to black-outs then I'd imagine that it might well be different.

Your best bet is probably to ring up the company and ask them, although you may need to go through the process of declaring your condition to get a specific answer.

Thanks andy. The terms and conditions specifically mention my condition as being something that they will not cover - there is a list of medical conditions including heart related ones. I will as you say, give them a ring at some point.