Would this bike be a suitable entry level tourer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cunobelin

Re: Would this bike be a suitable entry level tourer

Post by Cunobelin »

some years ago, I set u a tour in Scotland on a £1000 plus bike, and the frame cracked ........

Commiserating in pub I worked out that with a full price rail ticket, lost deposits etc I would be about £200 out of pocket, so bought a Ridgeback hybrid with racks and used that to complete the tour.

It was fine

So long as the bike is comfortable and you are happy with the handling then anything can tour... whatever you buy do so early and allow bedding in time for you and the machine before venturing off
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

Cunobelin wrote:so bought a Ridgeback hybrid with racks and used that to complete the tour.

My first tourer was a trashed Ridgeback Flight T2 I got off of gumtree. I added front & rear panniers & set off on my first 900 mile tour. The frame broke after what I estimate to be about 10,000 miles. I've still got the forks on another bike & keep meaning to mount the frame on the wall.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/rid ... e-ec001113

Nothing wrong with hybrids as tourers. Also dirt cheap to pick up.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Bicycler wrote:Weight is important but don't overestimate its importance. In a race grammes matter on tour they do not. An 18kg bike may be 30% heavier than a 14kg bike but in practice with a 75kg rider and 15kg load there is only a 4% difference in weight. Nevertheless, that bike is fairly heavy. I would also second Sweep's comments about the suspension. Dynamos and their lights are great bits of kit but maybe superfluous if you don't envisage much night time riding.

Hub dynamos can be very useful. You need to be seen in tunnels, they allow you to use your lighting as "day running lights" in bad weather and you can charge all kinds of electronic equipment from a hub dynamo.

My first tourer was a ukp 200 Halfords hybrid. It is still going strong, albeit with a fair few (expensive) upgrades.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

dakari-mane wrote:
Nothing wrong with hybrids as tourers. Also dirt cheap to pick up.

Agree totally i have a ridgeback adventure.
Sweep
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

> Well, I hope you find the suspension worth while. I personally think it's probably a waste of time on that bike and for touring in general, but if it helps your neck problem, then good on you.
> One thing I'm pretty certain on and that is if this bike is your first or even second bike, and whilst you think you know what you want now, after a bit of experience riding the bike, you'll almost undoubtedly start to think of improvements required in the next bike :P :P :P
> This is why buying your first few bikes second hand can end up saving you loadsa money as you find out what really meets your needs.
> Anyway, enjoy the bike and maybe in say 6 months time, you could update this post with how you found it in terms of meeting your needs?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
glasgowjim

Post by glasgowjim »

Use a ridgeback GS500 (hybrid) cheap as chips frame and forks bought off ebay and added bits to build it up from stuff lying around shed and just bought a few newer parts (V brakes front) . Has the advantage of looking well used - the last one you would want to nick !

swop the bottom bracket and chain rings over for commutting (52 , 42 ,32) or touring (48,28,28) and front derailleur.
Ron

Post by Ron »

PH wrote:I did my first few tours on a Raleigh Pioneer, not ideal, not as good as my present tourer, but loads of fun non the less.

Me too! It was only after a 2 week tour in the Netherlands, similar in Norway then a LEJOG that I thought it was time to buy a "proper" tourer :) .