Gluten Free

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gottogetfit

Gluten Free

Post by gottogetfit »

I'm doing the Coast & Castles south in September but I've recently found out I have to follow a gluten free diet. Is there anyone out there who is also gluten free that may have done the route and found some good places to eat?
[XAP]Bob

Re: Gluten Free

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No help at all, but I have been gluten (++) free for nearly 15 years now.

Most places will do a jacket potato, or chips etc. so there will be more places than you think. A decent fish and chip shop can steam the fish without batter (depending on the level of allergy/intolerance you might be able to use the batter as a bowl....)

In terms of normal meals look to the Far East, where much of the stuff you expect to be flour based is actually gramm flour or rice flour.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gottogetfit

Post by gottogetfit »

Thank you
stefos53

Post by stefos53 »

Hello,
My wife is ceoliac and we have toured both here and abroad. What she does is transfer her cereal into small bags and carry these with enough bread to last the trip. Most hotels are quite happy to let her then eat the cereal for her breakfast and prepare her own sandwiches using their cheese or even fry some bacon for her for lunch. If you let eating places know of the problem most are more than happy to advise on their menus and there is almost always something that is edible for her. Also try searching for gluten free restaurants, some websites such as Glutafin have lists of restaurants and café's which serve gluten free meals. Hope this helps.