Carrying currency on a tour in Europe

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MarkF

Re: Carrying currency on a tour in Europe

Post by MarkF »

bainbridge wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I use my debit card, as well. I only carry enough cash for a taxi in an emergency, or to pick up a few things at a rural stop, if I can.

I think cash is riskier than a card. If you don't want to use your normal debit card, get a prepaid one.

This means you'll be paying a charge (in some way) on every purchase doesn't it?

I use my debit card & ATM's on tours, I pay about 3% on my Euro tours, this is not a significant cost to me and well worth paying for the convenience, not having to worry about and carry cash.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

bainbridge wrote:This means you'll be paying a charge (in some way) on every purchase doesn't it?

You're paying a charge in some way or another anyway. For example the places that offer 0% commission on the transaction seem to have dreadful exchange rates compared to those that charge per transaction. On my debit card, the exchange rate is pretty close to spot but I pay a transaction fee. e.g. today the Visa Exchange Rate for Euro to Pounds is 0.738. The spot rate according to xe.com is 0.732. The Post Office rate is 0.758 with no commission. That means £2 less changing €100 into sterling.

The thing to beware is those chip and pin readers that offer you the option to pay in sterling. The exchange rates they offer are usually abysmal so always select the local currency and let your card company do the conversion.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

'Kernow bys Vyken'
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Maybe I've been lucky, but never had any issues of losing money abroad, and a card is as susceptible as cash to being stolen. It is a long time since I paid for accommodation in holland and Germany etc., but certainly used cash as usually just arrived on spec anyway. When I first toured abroad I took travellers cheques but got annoyed at the cost, buying them in the first place, exchanging them then converting the cash back to sterling. Viva the euro and simplicity.

Only items I have had stolen was saddle; Copenhagen yh, and a map I had left under map clip when tandem was left in German hotel dining room.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

My expereince in Germany and Austria is that the small hotels, Zimmer, etc, is they will not accept a card. They have a heart attack when you show a credit card. France or Portugal no problem.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

:D
bigjim wrote:My expereince in Germany and Austria is that the small hotels, Zimmer, etc, is they will not accept a card. They have a heart attack when you show a credit card. France or Portugal no problem.

Wny their extreme aversion to cards?

I do know there is a certain preference for cash in italy - you don't have to think too hard to figure out why.
Sweep
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Any thoughts on how the cash is carried?
On my last tour I had paper money in a body belt.
I found the money damp at the end of a week. Not from rain either!
Guess I could have wrapped the notes in plastic?

Also, where else to carry a reserve?
On/ in the bike? Inside handle bars and seat tube?
A back up stash in case luggage / gear is stolen.

Quite understand if folks don't want to share their secrets but a few hints would be handy.
I set off in late May for 60 days through Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.
Plan to take dollars and a few Euros.

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I split my cash up around the bike. Some in my toolkit, deep in a pannier or saddlebag. I wear lycra shorts on tour as I find them comfortable and easy to wash. Some of my cash and a CC goes in one of those small plastic envelopes the bank give you for change. Makes it waterproof. The bag then tucks up inside the leg of my shorts on the outside of my thigh. The elastication keeps it all secure and it's readily available.
robing

Post by robing »

bainbridge wrote:
robing wrote:Get the Caxton fx euro traveller card. It's brilliant. You transfer money from your bank account. You get a really good rate in to euros, no commission. That's it! You then can withdraw euros from any atm with no charges or you can pay by card, it's visa.

Thanks for this suggestion, Martin Lewis says it's a good card and taking into account we leave a fortnight on Monday and this card takes 5-7 days to arrive it might be the way to go.

It's better than a credit card as there's no interest to pay. Once you've set it up you can top up via the app, it's so easy. Don't use your existing uk bank debit card though as you get stung for every transaction.
paullferguson

Post by paullferguson »

Good to hear the various ideas here. Have usually just gone with €cash in various stashes but next trip is more adventurous so needed something a little more long term so have applied for a CaxtonFx card, seem ideal.

One odd note: When applying it just said there was an error with my application and to expect an email, didn't get an email so applied a few more times, same result. Phoned and they were awesome, turns out by error they just mean they need to do some manual credit checks on me and then email me, not an automated response. Just hope I don't end up with 5 cards and an empty £ account :)
mjr

Post by mjr »

I used a Caxton card for a trip to the USA years ago when I didn't want to risk my usual cards (they didn't even check your signature then and chip and pin was unknown... don't know if that's changed yet). It worked fine everywhere we tried. Small charge for ATM withdrawals, no charge for purchases, so used it to buy things more than withdraw cash.

These days I've one of Martin Lewis's top travel cards. No worries in Europe for cash or purchases. Only place I'd take more than a cab fare in cash is probably Cuba. Banking there is rather random and it's not only their fault.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Sweep wrote::D
bigjim wrote:My expereince in Germany and Austria is that the small hotels, Zimmer, etc, is they will not accept a card. They have a heart attack when you show a credit card. France or Portugal no problem.

I do know there is a certain preference for cash in italy - you don't have to think too hard to figure out why.

It's a cultural thing in Germany, traditionally cheques were only used for big purchases like a car or house, everything else was cash. It was an attitude which made the country much less susceptible to the credit crunch when it happened.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

BeeKeeper wrote:

It's a cultural thing in Germany, traditionally cheques were only used for big purchases like a car or house, everything else was cash. It was an attitude which made the country much less susceptible to the credit crunch when it happened.

Over the last few years i've seen this change dramatically - yes some places only take cash (or bank transfer) but many more shops take cards although one or two have issues if its not from a German bank! I try to make sure i have enough cash to cover one nights accomodation just in case.

OTOH in Switzerland you often have to use a card - even for stuff like tram/bus tickets as the machines don't take cash. If they do take cash they will however often accept Euros/Dollars as well as CHF
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

A few possible answers about the preference for cash in Germany: http://qz.com/262595/why-germans-pay-ca ... verything/
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I always carry cash, up to about £1000. Beyond that, I use a prepayment card. Been doing that since 1966, never had a problem. Usually keep half in my wallet, half somewhere else. If things look a bit dodgy I'll stick most of it in my underwear.