Trangia in USA

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
zed

Trangia in USA

Post by zed »

Planning to do U.S. Pacific Coast from the end of July. Would prefer to take the trusty Trangia, so is meths widely available over there?
AndrewClark

Re: Trangia in USA

Post by AndrewClark »

I used my Trangia for Seattle to San Francisco & for Arizona & Utah.

Denatured alcohol is available from places such as Home Depot (same as B&Q) in large towns.

Heet (methanol) is widely available from garages.

I used mainly Heet on my tours with no ill effects.

More info here http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.co. ... -fuel.html
zed

Post by zed »

Good stuff Andrew, many thanks for that.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

It's a while ago since I went to the USA with my Trangia, before I was on the internet and so not so easy to do research. It took a bit of work to find some suitable alcohol there, but we did manage. No-one had heard of meths.

One thing I remember is that for the flight back security called us to examine our baggage and I had to repeatedly wash out the fuel bottle and burner unit with water and soap in the restrooms until there was absolutely not a sniff of fuel before they were happy. This was on hold bags.
zed

Post by zed »

Thanks for that Des. Yes, we've got similar warnings from Canadian Affair about having clean components. Makes you laugh really when you think of all that duty-free alcohol sitting just above you in the overhead lockers.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

AndrewClark wrote:Heet (methanol) is widely available from garages.
I used mainly Heet on my tours with no ill effects.

10ml of methanol can cause permanent blindness, and 30ml is fatal. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol
adventuresinstoving wrote:Methanol fumes are toxic, and methanol absorbed through the skin is toxic. How toxic? If you're cooking out doors, I don't think fumes will be too bad if you're observant of wind direction and position yourself accordingly. I don't have a way to state a safe limit for skin absorption, but handling with care should be enough.

Definitely not for use inside a tent, or for people with shaky hands when pouring. This stuff is very seriously toxic, a whole different kettle of fish from using leaded petrol in your MSR.
zed

Post by zed »

Thanks Iviehoff. Interesting Wiki article, and take the point regarding safe usage. Somewhat re-assured by the statement later in the 'adventuresinstoving' article which says: 'It's not like you hear about a lot of through hikers on the Appalachian Trail (AT), where yellow HEET is easy to get and very popular, getting stricken with methanol poisoning.'

Experience has taught that petrol is not without some hazards!
donald.stewart.nj

Post by donald.stewart.nj »

Heet brand in yellow bottles are available at so many gas (petrol) stations and convenience stores.