Travel Insurance North America

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
paulardin

Travel Insurance North America

Post by paulardin »

Hi all,

we're going to do the Great Divide this summer and are looking for recommendations on Travel (Health) Insurance for the trip?

Cheers,

Paul.
Galloper

Re: Travel Insurance North America

Post by Galloper »

CTC insurance would be my recommendation. Most other policies tend to be a bit sniffy about adventurous pursuits and may not offer a sufficently lenghty period of cover.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Are you on a long tour?
Some companies have a limit of just 28 days (most 45/60days) per single trip even on annual insurance, so check the small print if on a long tour.
I think £10M is the minimum recommended for medical cover in USA these days :?
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I thought my travel insurance covered me for touring but it didn't, apparently touring on a bike is regarded as a dangerous activity by some insurers. It wasn't listed on the policy as a dangerous activity but when I asked them the question they said it was. I then changed to AXA who included cover for cycle touring but I can only suggest whichever company you go with make sure you ask them specifically if touring on a bike is included and if they say yes make a note of the date and time of the conversation just in case they quibble later! I may have got this wrong but I am sure I have read the CTC policy doesn't - but that may be a libellous remark and someone will put me firmly right in a moment!
paulardin

Post by paulardin »

Thanks all. It turns out that Citybond won't cover the Great Divide if there are only two of you travelling!

It certainly pays to check but I was very disappointed by this.

Regards,

Paul.
lisap

Post by lisap »

I always use Snowcard for bike touring in the US although I didn't use them when I did the Divide as I didn't know about them.

Have a look at their website and work out how many days, what level of activity, how much excess and kit you want to insure and it works it out for you. It won't be cheap but worth every penny.

I got knocked off in Florida and was scooped off the road by the Paramedics who looked after my bike for me, saline drips, cat scan, private doctor and all I did was give them my plastic Snowcard card and my passport. The insurers did the rest and even contacted me on my return to make sure I was ok and was there anything I needed. The following year I re insured with them and there was no increase in premium.

I will be using them this year for my extended Southern Tier trip.

Enjoy the GD it is a fantastic trip but do take heed of bear and wild animal warnings.