Newcastle port to central station - route wanted

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PH

Re: Newcastle port to central station - route wanted

Post by PH »

coastman wrote:There is no need to cross the river and go up the south side.

I don't think anyone said you needed to, it's a question of preference, though it seems one that nobody shares with me. I liked being closer to the river and the views across into the shipyards, plus of course the ferry. I have no recollection of busy roads, but then memory is sometimes like that...
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

"pedestrian street on the right. (Dene St.). After another couple of hundred Mts take the narrow steep street on the left (The Side)"

Not selling this route well! We jumped on the road by wetherspoons/lloyds #1 and then followed it around right and up the hill to the Indian restaurant and into the back of the station (but should have continued to save some back tracking) Hell of a hill up from the river either way but at least we pedalled - well most of it ;-)
Chiz

Post by Chiz »

I'd recommend the Hadrians Cycle Route, it'll get you along to Newcastle on a largely quiet and rolling route. No matter what it's going to get busy near the station just because of its location in the city centre. I've lived in and around Newcastle almost all my life, I could find you a route avoiding the busiest parts of the city but that relies on having excellent knowledge of the city centre and knowing the back lanes and short cuts available to cyclists.
Chiz

Post by Chiz »

The Tyne Pedestrian and Cyclist Tunnel is still closed unfortunately. The firm that was carrying out the work has gone bust, speaking to the tunnel operator (TT2 Limited), they reckon another twelve months based on getting another firm in straight away but that's not likely as the local authority have ran out of money for the refurb.

It's been an absolute farce since the start.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Chiz wrote:The Tyne Pedestrian and Cyclist Tunnel is still closed unfortunately. The firm that was carrying out the work has gone bust, speaking to the tunnel operator (TT2 Limited), they reckon another twelve months based on getting another firm in straight away but that's not likely as the local authority have ran out of money for the refurb.

Oh I'm so glad you posted this!
I was planning a mini tour to include the tunnels this summer, it means I can concentrate on some of the other stuff on the 'must do' list instead.
Chiz

Post by Chiz »

Keep an eye on the website for any progress.

http://www.tynepedestrianandcyclisttunnels.co.uk
loafer

Post by loafer »

wirral_cyclist wrote:
Chiz wrote:The Tyne Pedestrian and Cyclist Tunnel is still closed unfortunately. The firm that was carrying out the work has gone bust, speaking to the tunnel operator (TT2 Limited), they reckon another twelve months based on getting another firm in straight away but that's not likely as the local authority have ran out of money for the refurb.

Oh I'm so glad you posted this!
I was planning a mini tour to include the tunnels this summer, it means I can concentrate on some of the other stuff on the 'must do' list instead.

just use the Shields ferry instead :D
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

loafer wrote:
just use the Shields ferry instead :D

Nah I want to do the tunnels
loafer

Post by loafer »

you might have to wait a while.. :lol: few pics from my last vist :D