Newcastle port to central station - route wanted

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
sarahschof

Newcastle port to central station - route wanted

Post by sarahschof »

HI, slightly off topic but I spotted someone mentioning experience of cycling from port in Newcastle (North Shields) from their home in Newcastle. Would you be able to advise me on a good route to cycle from the port to central station. We're not under any time pressures - arrive 9am and need to be on a train before 5pm. Will have fully laden panniers so would prefer something quiet. Thanks
Vorpal

Re: Newcastle port to central station - route wanted

Post by Vorpal »

Maybe you can use the Hadrian's Wall route? http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... 5173490241

The goes from the port to quite near the station.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
robgul

Post by robgul »

The Sustrans C2C route from Tynemouth into the city centre would work ... it's well signposted - going past the blinking eye bridge etc. - when you get to the Tyne bridge make a right up the slope towards the station

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Vorpal wrote:Maybe you can use the Hadrian's Wall route? http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... 5173490241

The goes from the port to quite near the station.

About 200m from the station in fact and if memory serves me its mostly a dedicated bike/foot path until the city centre.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Yeah that's one part of the C2C route and it goes right to the ferry port. By UK standards some of the best we have (so still terrible, but usable) and tarmac too.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mark1978 wrote:Yeah that's one part of the C2C route and it goes right to the ferry port. By UK standards some of the best we have (so still terrible, but usable) and tarmac too.

Actually, although some of it is barely adequate pavement type shared use, some is also rather nice, dedicated cycleway, and as good as you are likely to find outside of the Netherlands.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Vorpal wrote:
Mark1978 wrote:Yeah that's one part of the C2C route and it goes right to the ferry port. By UK standards some of the best we have (so still terrible, but usable) and tarmac too.

Actually, although some of it is barely adequate pavement type shared use, some is also rather nice, dedicated cycleway, and as good as you are likely to find outside of the Netherlands.

Yup, although can be rather frustrating to ride on as you're constantly having to stop at junctions, cross the road, etc, it's never more than 5 minutes between having to negotiate something.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mark1978 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

Yup, although can be rather frustrating to ride on as you're constantly having to stop at junctions, cross the road, etc, it's never more than 5 minutes between having to negotiate something.

But that happens in cities everywhere; even in the Netherlands. It's the nature of cities. :D
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Just follow the Hadrians as everyone says, signage is good as are the surfaces. One thing I couldn't do when we were there was do the Tyne cycle tunnels as they had closed for refurb - so if you wouldn't mind popping under the river and letting me know if they're worth doing that would be fab :wink:
PH

Post by PH »

There are NCR routes on both sides of the Tyne, I've enjoyed both but IMO the south shore offers better river views, plus you get to cross over to South Shields on the ferry :D
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Horrible riding on the South side compared to Newcastle side. Busy roads mostly.
PH

Post by PH »

Mark1978 wrote:Horrible riding on the South side compared to Newcastle side. Busy roads mostly.

I think we must be talking about different routes. Route 14, described by Sustrans as "Some short sections along the Tyne are on road but otherwise this whole stretch is a fantastic unbroken traffic-free path."
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-14
auldgadgie

Post by auldgadgie »

An alternative would be to follow the cycle paths on N & S side of the dual carriageway coast road (A1058). Not scenic, but gets you from Tynemouth to Newcastle fairly quickly. Pretty flat too.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

PH wrote:There are NCR routes on both sides of the Tyne, I've enjoyed both but IMO the south shore offers better river views, plus you get to cross over to South Shields on the ferry :D

The ferry is great - sets you down right next to Arbeia Roman fort which is free to go in and there's a little café! I used the south river route to the centre as I wanted to visit Bedes World but I have to admit to finding it very bitty with stretches on poorly surfaced road and in other places quite busy with traffic. I'd stick to the north bank if I revisit with a bike.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
coastman

Post by coastman »

There is no need to cross the river and go up the south side. Simply leave the ferry port and follow the cycle signs to Necastle as it follows the Hadrian Cycleway. As you cylcle along Newcastle quayside you will pass the millennium bridge on the left. Another 400mts or so and you will be at a right hand corner under the Tyne Bridge. At this corner take the pedestrian street on the right. (Dene St.). After another couple of hundred Mts take the narrow steep street on the left (The Side). At the top of The Side keep to the left and cross the main road onto Westgate Road. On your left you will pass the Sleepez hotel and a little further on the central station on the left. It's only about eight miles and the surface is very good so should'nt take you very long.
Hope this helps.