Reducing pannier weight

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
AnnaLu

Re: Reducing pannier weight

Post by AnnaLu »

I'm doing LEJOG in June/July (solo) so have been rading this thread with interest. I'm wondering whether to take a spare pair of trainers for off-bike use (Ihave several rest days en route) and went to look at lightweight running shoes in SportsDirect yesterday - there are some incredibly lightweight shoes around for about £30.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

AnnaLu wrote:I'm doing LEJOG in June/July (solo) so have been rading this thread with interest. I'm wondering whether to take a spare pair of trainers for off-bike use (Ihave several rest days en route) and went to look at lightweight running shoes in SportsDirect yesterday - there are some incredibly lightweight shoes around for about £30.

What are you riding in? If you're riding in Clipless road shoes I'd recommend a change of footwear for walking around in.

Regarding weight, my clipless road shoes are about 900g, my trainers are about the same, so that's nearly 2kg just for footwear! So I purchased these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-mt44-to ... 60619576uk

They weigh 800g and though not quite as good as road shoes for riding they're still very good and very comfy for wandering around in. I also bought a pair of flip flops for relaxing in the evenings which weigh in at 190g.

So instead of 1800g for footwear it is now 990g for comfort on and off the bike!
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I've yet to put my theory into practice, but I've a spare pair of walking shoes in the pannier so that when I reach the campsite after a wet rainy ride, I have something dry to put on while the spd shoes dry out (hopefully).
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
cheesypeeps

Reducing pannier weight

Post by cheesypeeps »

Im doing a tour in May from lanarkshire to Islay/Jura and back and ive just bought a pair of these....

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ino3 ... wgod90QAhQ

I wear road shoes for cycling and the above are so light weight (155g) n bendy they'll be used for evening wear and Incase the bike breaks down n I need to walk any distance.
Last edited by cheesypeeps on 30 Mar 2015, 3:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
using hovercraft full of eels.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Vantage wrote:I've yet to put my theory into practice, but I've a spare pair of walking shoes in the pannier so that when I reach the campsite after a wet rainy ride, I have something dry to put on while the spd shoes dry out (hopefully).

I take some Goretex spats to keep the worst wet off the cycling shoes which works surprisingly well. The 'camp' shoes are easily dried so its no problem if i end up puddle hopping off the bike! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

On a long tour I take a pair of waterproof spd MTB shoes that you can walk anywhere in and I have just bought a pair of cycling sandals ( lake io spd sandals pic below) which I am looking forward to trying out on a long ride and a pair of flip flops that weigh nothing and let my feet air (not always a good think in company after a long day cycling).

so saving weight on shoes I would go with flip flops or a pair of those black chinese cloth sandals that look good with everything!
Attachments
lake_io_rutland_cycling.jpg
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just repacking before flight home and realise how much 'just in case' I carry. Things like spare cycling shorts and gloves which are not always available off the beaten track. Pannier hooks - who else carries spares? Medicals stuff, pills, etc. Not sure I would want to be without any of it, but it does just sit there, adds to weight and has to be carried.

I have also just taken out my long trousers, last worn on flight here, next time I wear them will be when I change at airport.

Oh, and then the bits and bobs for packing the bike - fork spacer, sticky tape, plastic axle ends, etc.

Makes the electric kettle that I normally use twice a day look like an absolute necessity!!
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

For shoes, vivo barefoot weigh in at around 200g a pair, are comfy, dry and can be in casual styles as well as "trainer" styles. Also pack very flat.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Decathlon do some very lightweight technical hiking/sports t-shirts that also pack down tiny and seem impervious to wrinkles. And they cost well under a tenner each, some under a fiver
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

simonhill wrote:I have also just taken out my long trousers, last worn on flight here, next time I wear them will be when I change at airport.
For a train/ferry trip to France I wore old trousers on the way out, discarded in France like a used up Saturn Five rocket stage! Shorts or waterproof trousers on plane back. This approach relies on having more old trousers than cycling holidays, of course.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

like a used rocket stage!! hahaha :D
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

im gonna fill anything hollow with helium :-)
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

DarkNewt wrote:im gonna fill anything hollow with helium :-)

I think motorists have been doing that with their heads for years.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.