Reducing pannier weight

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Reducing pannier weight

Post by Sweep »

jgurney wrote:If your budget will stand it, look at lightweight clothing from firms like Rohan.

I have some of their t-shirts with weight and volume less than half than of typical cotton ones, and a 'spark' insulated top which weighs very little but is very snug and water-resistant (and reversible between yellow or dark blue).

Aldi did some synthetic short sleeve shirts a while ago. About £7.

Really good. Various colours of a sort of checkie pattern.

Dry in no time.

Worth keeping an eye out - they were in one of its specials, though not a cycling one as such.
Sweep
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

To the OP - there was a thread a while ago entitled 'items with double use' which you might find helpful :) Not sure how to insert a link but it comes up if you search.

As others have mentioned, comfort levels are very subjective and it takes a few trips to work out what suits you best. For my second camping trip I ditched the microfibre towel and used one of my shirts. Light, quick dry shirts and trousers are a boon, as are mesh stuff sacks to put them in for air drying on the bike rack.

I personally prefer merino wool base layers - as well as being light and quick drying, they stay warm when wet. There are lots of similarities between backpacking and cycle touring, but windchill is worse on a bike, and I find synthetic clothes much less comfortable when wet from rain/sweat.
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mountain warehouse do some good stuff.

Baggy long synthetic shorts.

Good number of pockets.

Indestructible, comfy, dry in no time - in suitable climes fine on or off the bike.
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

334g, packs up really small, drys in no time, plenty of pockets, trousers and shorts in one, not that 'skinny' fashion so you don't look ridiculous and doesn't cost a fortune either.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CXKYTGQ/ ... dvb1NQF7BZ
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
dandru

Post by dandru »

You need to change your mindset to shave off weight. Spend some time reading forum posts at Backpacking Light and the message eventually sinks in, weight will be flying out the door, but every time you go away, try something different and create an equipment list for each trip and compare lists over time.

I don't take a barbag and can't see a need for front pannier, unless I'm going into some remote location and need to pack heaps of food and spares, and the list goes on. I usually blog when I travel and take a computer, but could save 1 kilogram by replacing it with an iPad mini.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... index.html
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

For crossing France and Spain I took 5.5.kg of luggage, that included tools, spares and the panniers, I was happy seeing that at the airport weigh in.

I used Sport Direct sandals like these http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QGPYyNaqL._SX395_.jpg, about £25 for cycling and walking, £2 flip flops to relax in. I wear polo shirts, they can be used anywhere, but made out of football shirt type material, they weight bugger all, don't crease and dry super quick. I got 2 from Dunnes for a tenner and like football shirts, they are incredibly durable.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Excellent stuff folks :-)

Just purchased some of those karrimor zip off trousers and some flip flops, so no need to take jeans and casual shorts plus the old tootsies can have a rest when off the bike.

Been weighing stuff as the departure date approaches and the weight is still coming down!
horizon

Post by horizon »

bainbridge: are you going to reveal whether you are camping or not? My guess from reading your posts is that you are not but there seems to be some confusion on here.

And another thing: if you aren't camping and stick to just two panniers*, you should be OK weight wise, heavy locks notwithstanding. What was your pannier weight last time round and what are you hoping for this time?

My own view is that (within reason) weight isn't really an issue on a bike - a couple of kilos either way doesn't matter - unless you are going for high mileages - as low gears can take care of it. Camping is different because your need for comfort and the bike's ability to carry stuff can outstrip your ability to get it up the hills.

*I'm covering my back here as many people are sensitive about weight on a bike. So:
Disclaimer #1: obviously not crammed to the top and obviously not loaded with books, steel locks, laptops, jars of jam and geological specimens.
Disclaimer #2: less weight on a bike is always a good thing. But some luggage is useful and the bike will carry it with ease.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

My weekly shopping trip has me hauling more weight than my full tour camping set up!

As Horizon says, 3/4 full bags are the ideal, balance the weight side to side and you'll be well away :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

We're hostelling with the odd hotel so no camping stuff to carry, though my bike isn't touring specific and 13 it's years old:

Image[/url]

All the weight is on the back so I'm trying to keep it to a minimum.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Looks like lots of us assumed you were camping :oops: . How long are you hostelling for and when are you going? If you take light, packable clothes and nominal toiletries you could just use a rack bag with small foldout panniers. I have an Altura one and it worked great for a 5 day b&b trip. I wore a small waist pack for wallet, phone and small accessories.
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

bainbridge wrote:We're hostelling with the odd hotel so no camping stuff to carry, though my bike isn't touring specific and 13 it's years old:

Image[/url]

All the weight is on the back so I'm trying to keep it to a minimum.

Did you catch whoever stole the other half of your rear mudguard? :lol:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

I found the easiest way to lose weight off my bike was to lose it off me... but often the hardest to do... when I did a JOGLE i weighed more at the end....
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

DarkNewt wrote:I found the easiest way to lose weight off my bike was to lose it off me... but often the hardest to do... when I did a JOGLE i weighed more at the end....

I think this might be the case with me too. Training in earnest for this ride began in January and rather than losing weight as I expected it's remained the same, though the waistband has gone down 2 buckle-holes :)
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

yep that was similar to me the thigh muscles expanded to fill the gap, did you know they start around the waistline :D
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk