Stuttgart and Bratislava Airports with bikes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
danube

Stuttgart and Bratislava Airports with bikes

Post by danube »

This summer I am cycling from Stuttgart airport to Ulm and then following the Danube as far as Bratislava. Does anyone have any experience with cycling straight from Stuttgart Airport? Are there roads from the airport that are suitable for cycling?

Also has anyone flown from Bratislava Airport with bikes? Are there boxes provided at the airport and if not are there bike shops nearby that could provide boxes?

Any other information about flying with bikes through either airport would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
foxyrider

Re: Stuttgart and Bratislava Airports with bikes

Post by foxyrider »

Where did you find a flight to Stuttgart?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
danube

Post by danube »

foxyrider wrote:Where did you find a flight to Stuttgart?

I'm flying Dublin to Stuttgart with Aer Lingus.
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

danube wrote:

I'm not answering your question very well, but....
I fly out of Dublin with Aer Lingus every summer, usually to Munich or Vienna.
I just use a CTC plastic bag and never had any problems. Aer Lingus have been excellent with the bike.
As have the staff at Munich and Vienna.
The plastic bag folds up to easily fit in a pannier so don't need to worry about a box.
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

Have you cycled the Danube route? I've done it several times.
Last year I did Gunsburg (just East of Ulm) to Vienna if you need any info.
I have a GPX file of my route if you want, although it really just follows the path.
danube

Post by danube »

MickTheCyclist wrote:
danube wrote:

I'm not answering your question very well, but....
I fly out of Dublin with Aer Lingus every summer, usually to Munich or Vienna.
I just use a CTC plastic bag and never had any problems. Aer Lingus have been excellent with the bike.
As have the staff at Munich and Vienna.
The plastic bag folds up to easily fit in a pannier so don't need to worry about a box.

Thanks for the information. I'll be flying home with Ryanair, will they be ok with a bag or will I need to find a box in Bratislava?

MickTheCyclist wrote:Have you cycled the Danube route? I've done it several times.
Last year I did Gunsburg (just East of Ulm) to Vienna if you need any info.
I have a GPX file of my route if you want, although it really just follows the path.

No this is my first time. I have use of a Garmin Touring but I'm not sure if it'll be any good to me because we will be camping so recharging opportunities could be few and far between. Actually does anyone has a recommendation of a decent, inexpensive power block that I could use to charge my phone/Garmin?
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

I've never flown Ryanair with the bike, but a quick search on their website says
'* Bicycles - MUST be contained in a protective box or bag in order to be accepted for travel. Electric bicycles cannot be carried'. I would send them an email to get their confirmation, then you can print and bring with you in case of problems.

Sorry can't help with the Garmin/recharging. I stay in B&B and recharge everything overnight. I have Garmin etrex 20 for touring and it uses 2 AA batteries so just carry a spare pack of cheap batteries in case.
There are plenty of threads on this forum about options for recharging on tour; use the search function or post a separate thread if you can't find what you need
danube

Post by danube »

Thanks Mick. I'll email them so and try to get confirmation that a bag will be ok. That'd be great to save hassle with boxing on the way home.
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

danube wrote:Thanks Mick. I'll email them so and try to get confirmation that a bag will be ok. That'd be great to save hassle with boxing on the way home.

One other thing (I'm assuming you haven't flown with bike before). Most airlines including Aer lingus 'suggest' you deflate the tyres, remove the pedals, turn the handlebars in line with the frame. So you'll need the tools with you and the ability to do this. Also I once flew back from Bratislava after cycling trip. Didn't have bike as we hired bikes but I had my tools in my hand luggage and almost had them confiscated.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It's been a few years since I was there, but IIRC Stuttgart Airport wasn't too bad to get out of by bicycle. If I remember correctly, I asked at information, and they sent me out the south side of the airport buildings (maybe it was southwest), where there was employee parking and cycle racks, and a nice path going off to the west. It soon joined one that was sign posted to Stuttgart city centre. I don't remember other details, but you could try

http://www.radweit.de/index/entrance.html for routes?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I too have flown into Stuttgart with a bike and ridden, with ctc group, I do not recall any routes used but nor do I recall any issues, likewise arriving back there for our flight home.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

I haven't cycled from the airport but I do know the area as I used to live in Stuttgart (well I worked in Stuttgart, I lived in Fellbach, Stuttgart is like a collection of towns joined by green areas that have field roads, that only have farm traffic, running across them). It depends what you want to do, if you want to cycle into Stuttgart and then
http://efa.vvs.de/bike/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en
themed routes Architektur-Route: neue(re) Architektur, 35 km, takes you from the airport which is at Echterdingen near Filderstadt to the Konigstrasse in the center of Stuttgart via Hohenheim, which is rather pretty if I remember. If you are eventually going from Stuttgart down the Neckar to Esslingen then you could cut east from the airport and miss out the city center which would be a shame as it is quite a lovely city. You can take you bike on the S-bahn, S2 and S3 run to the city center, and cycle to Esslingen, or you can cycle to the city center and then take the S1 out to Esslingen which avoids most of the industrialized part. Or you could take the S3 to the end of the line at Filderstadt and then cycle east from there. It depends what your plans are and if you want to use the S-bahn or U-bahn. You can take your bike on the S-bahn outside of peak hours (6-8.30) you need to buy a child's ticket for the bike, U-bahn (again outside of peak hours this time morning and evening), and also on some buses and there are also cycle buses in the summer on the Swabish alb, but none will be of use from the airport.
So it depends which direction you want to go from the airport.
It is a lovely area, it is a TBE area so take care if camping if not immunized.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Getting to bratislava airport was slightly tricky; need to find exactly the right local road "Ivanska Cesta". The main access is via a motorway so you have to locate this local road that crosses the motorway and takes traffic from it into the airport. If the railway is on your left you eventually cross it so its on your right by a red office block. There is one signpost some way back from the junction.

That said it was a busy road and this was before satnav / googlemaps were ubiquitous. There are probably quieter routes on side roads but you still have to cross the motorway on Ivanska Cesta.

Also when following cycling signs be aware that that "Maly dunaj" is a different channel to the main danube and goes in a different direction.

I managed to get a box in Bratislava but I can't remember how etc. It was 7-10 years ago. Small terminal, lots of people, checkin desks were busy, they had 1e baggage trolleys. Also they checked that the bike was booked /paid for i.e a printed copy of the booking) .

If your going the box route I think you'd need to get it in town. I'd be tempted to box it up and taxi to the airport. Its only about 6km.