Best saddle for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ruta78

Re: Best saddle for touring

Post by Ruta78 »

Thank you everyone who replied, I have made my decision and bought Brooks B17s yesterday, cant wait to try it out!
beardy

Post by beardy »

They only really hurt for the first 500 miles.

(or was that 5,000). :?
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

Everyone always talks about how long it takes to break in a leather saddle, but that hasn't been my experience. I've now done about 7000km on my B17 and it was comfortable from day 1, but it hasn't really got any softer than when I bought it. I am quite careful about protecting it from the rain and I've put some Proofide on it a couple of times.
promeneur

Post by promeneur »

Brooks B17 is just fantastic. I've used it for years. Perfect in hot climate as in south east asia!
i don't even use lycra short anymore.because it's so comfortable.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Enjoy your B17. You are no doubt aware that it will be better after a few hundred miles of use. I would avoid over-use of proofide wax. Too much, too often, can make the leather too soft and cause the saddle to lose its shape. Other than that, it should prove to be a good choice.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

[emoji48]These B17s eh. Wonder if they have a bit of the sheep follows all factor going on? I've been sucker punched by Brook's Cambium range and love my C17. So at least I'm half way there.
thayer19

Post by thayer19 »

Another B17 owner here and this may sound controversial but I'm not entirely impressed it. I've been doing 60-80 miles a week on it for 5 months so its most definitely worn in, my main gripe with the saddle is that where the leather is continuously evolving shape you are forever fine tuning the saddle to accommodate the 'hammock' effect' as well as the nose in essence turning up etc etc. My experience with the saddle is what was a really comfortable position a month ago becomes a bit uncomfortable after a period of time and thus requires thinking on how to get that comfortable position back. Getting that continued positional sweet spot is difficult basically.

I don't think my shorts (Endura humvee's) are particularly helping the situation though and am going to try a decent pair of unpadded shorts and some non-cotton boxers to see if that helps. I'm hoping the B17 becomes truly comfortable once the surface loses its slipperiness as that is the main documented annoyance of the saddle which you obviously compensate for with slight angling.

Personally I don't understand how someone can say the B17 or any brooks leather saddle is comfortable out of the box as the nature of leather and design of use goes entirely against that thinking but I suppose some people may find hard, unforgiving surfaces comfortable.

The C17 looks a great saddle, I'd be interested to hear people's feedback as I've heard the textured material on top tears through shorts and the saddle acts a kin to a trampoline when going over bumps? Is this a myth? It looks a great saddle so I hope this isn't the case as I'd be interested to switch over to it.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

One person's meat is another person's poison. I didn't get on that well with the standard B17 but the B17 Aged that I have on my Brompton has been super comfy straight from the box and for 3,000 miles so far. The Brooks Imperial that I have on my tourer has also given me super comfort. Other saddles which had great reviews have been like instruments of torture however!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Ruta78 wrote:Thank you everyone who replied, I have made my decision and bought Brooks B17s yesterday, cant wait to try it out!

Don't get rid of the old saddle!

Leather saddles are great, I just prefer my leather stretched over some foam and a slice of carbon :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thayer19 wrote:The C17 looks a great saddle, I'd be interested to hear people's feedback as I've heard the textured material on top tears through shorts and the saddle acts a kin to a trampoline when going over bumps? Is this a myth? It looks a great saddle so I hope this isn't the case as I'd be interested to switch over to it.

I've got a C15 and I'm unsure (after 800 miles). It certainly is not what I would call a trampoline; pretty firm compared to my previous saddle My bum is certainly suffering (bruised sit bones). I'm persevering, hoping my bum will acclimatise (and that itr is taking time is not surprising me). I also wear Endura Humvee (mostly) so I would not expect to see wear on them. I've use my "normal" lycra shorts less often so too soon to see wear. My previous saddle included some padding and with the C15 I've noticed my shorts with thinner padding are worse, thicker padded shorts easier. So I'm switching to some good gel padded shorts which is making things easier.

Ian
Heltor Chasca

Best saddle for touring

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Psamathe wrote:
thayer19 wrote:The C17 looks a great saddle, I'd be interested to hear people's feedback as I've heard the textured material on top tears through shorts and the saddle acts a kin to a trampoline when going over bumps? Is this a myth? It looks a great saddle so I hope this isn't the case as I'd be interested to switch over to it.

I've got a C15 and I'm unsure (after 800 miles). It certainly is not what I would call a trampoline; pretty firm compared to my previous saddle My bum is certainly suffering (bruised sit bones). I'm persevering, hoping my bum will acclimatise (and that itr is taking time is not surprising me). I also wear Endura Humvee (mostly) so I would not expect to see wear on them. I've use my "normal" lycra shorts less often so too soon to see wear. My previous saddle included some padding and with the C15 I've noticed my shorts with thinner padding are worse, thicker padded shorts easier. So I'm switching to some good gel padded shorts which is making things easier.

Ian

I'm a C17 groupie. I'm pretty muscular, short and about 70kg to give you a comparison if you are shaped otherwise. About 6 months use and no bruising or trampolining. When I first sat on this saddle I was surprised at the firmness and initially a bit worried. I find my saddle works best with a slight 'nose up' angle as it averages out at fairly horizontal when you sit on it. Firmness seems the same now as it was on day 1 and as far as I'm aware no breaking in has occurred or has needed to as this is a 'ready to ride' saddle. The texturised saddle has the right balance. You don't slip about but if you need to move you aren't velcroed in. I also haven't had any wear on my clothes, but I'm not a Lycra clad cyclist.

In summary this saddle is there but I don't notice it. I would buy the same for a second or winter bike as it is all weather and maintenance free.

It's a vegan option too.

Does that help?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Yes it's a really personal thing, not reflected by price. Best for me have been SDG Bel Air and some cheapo Tioga effort. I've never given my Brooks flyer enough time/miles to break in, keep meaning to get around to it, I got too irritated by the creaking of the damn thing, could not stop it despite oiling springs/bolts/metal frame to leather interfaces etc. I have a Charge Spoon but don't get on with it.