Best saddle for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bikepacker

Re: Best saddle for touring

Post by bikepacker »

SQLab 602 Active is my current saddle. http://www.sq-lab.com/en/sqlab-products ... QcZKRNFDcs

Tried most including all the Brooks instruments of torture and none come close to the comfort of the 602 Active.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Brooks imperial is what I use on my touring bike. Never done a really long ride but it is very comfortable for 75 miles in a day and 150 miles,at a weekend. Gel saddles destroyed me which just proves that saddles are a very individual preference
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Have to say that the Brookes B17 is the saddle of choice for my cycling adventures. It just works. . .
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
don1

Post by don1 »

pete75 wrote:
largeallan wrote:...if leather floats your erm ...boat, then you could try spa cycles 'nidd'....similar in shape to the B17, just as comfy and half the price.

If you go for one of those remove the lacing for the break in period - it'll be a lot easier on your backside.

I have a reasonably new B17 with lacing. Whilst I find mine comfortable, is it a good idea to remove the lacing in general during break in - or is it just for comfort ?
Ray

Post by Ray »

Passport Navigator - daft name for an excellent saddle, neither too hard nor too soft, only £18, standard fitting on Spa tourers and audax bikes.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b0s81p2570

Recommended by Chris Juden and, er, by me, of course :D Comfortable from day 1.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

+ 1 for Brooks saddles, did the Jogle on a gel saddle lost all feeling in the nether regions by the end.... took a while to come back :oops: I have the brooks imperial B17 with the cut out for mr wiggly :wink: works great for me no soreness definitely no numbness. I have found something that works for me so now I am going to stick with it. It did take some riding in to soften a little but even before that it was a vast improvement on a so called quality gel saddle.
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
mjr

Post by mjr »

It's not just the right saddle for you. It's the right saddle for you on that bike. I've a Brooks Flyer on the workhorse, a Selle Royal Maya moderate gel on the roadster and a Selle Royal gel trekking on the folder. I rode for years on a Selle Royal gel on a racer (forget which model). All are/were comfortable.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

mjr wrote:It's not just the right saddle for you. It's the right saddle for you on that bike. I've a Brooks Flyer on the workhorse, a Selle Royal Maya moderate gel on the roadster and a Selle Royal gel trekking on the folder. I rode for years on a Selle Royal gel on a racer (forget which model). All are/were comfortable.

yep you have to go with what works for you however.. my gel saddle was ok for 25 mile ride not so much on 70+ a day which the brooks is.
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
mjr

Post by mjr »

I've done 80+ mile days on gel without ill effect. That was a firm gel racing saddle, only retired because it tore. I've done 50 on the Maya.

Most gel is basically just a type of foam. It's not the messiah but it's not the devil either, despite some comments. Design is more important than materials, although some designs can only be done in some materials.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Fretz54

Post by Fretz54 »

Brooks B17 is by far the best saddle I've had. Had it for 3 years now perfect for touring on my Surly disk trucker.
garibeet

Post by garibeet »

I think this thread simply proves the point of how personal saddle choice is, I am not going to say what I use for that very reason. What I will say, as an observation really, is that in my opinion price is often mistakenly used as an indicator of how comfortable a saddle is/will be. In my opinion price dictates how well a saddle is made and/or materials used, which usually equates to how long it will last(all things being equal). So if you buy an expensive saddle and it is really uncomfortable, it will probably remain so for a very long time :lol: :shock:
As has been said, you need to try out as many as you can, when you find one buy several...I did.
One of the saddles I was interested in was on a bike that someone arrived at a hostel with, I asked if I could try it for a quick spin around the car park. A few confused looks but he was happy to say yes, and while I know that's not long enough to know if a saddle is right for you, sometimes it's all it takes to know it isn't!!! It was fine and it's what I have on my tourer.
You gotta love when a plan works out.....good luck with the hunt. Apologies if this didn't help :oops:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I would think another consideration is how long the saddle will last. The one that came with my bike 6000 miles ago is showing signs of wear and I doubt it will last much longer. I don't know how true it is but in a shop the other day they said that most saddles will last only a couple of years (at 6000 miles per year) which surprised me (though I'm not completely convinced of the "advice").

But finding your ideal saddle, only to have it wear out after a few years meaning you have to start your search again has got to be something of a nuisance.

Ian
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

@garibet
go on tell us your saddle, the whole point of a forum is to engage in a bit of friendly banter over issues that no one will ever agree on :lol:

but seriously, you are right on the nail, it's all about personal choice and the shape of your bum!

I do like the comment on buying to last that someone has made, this I think is seriously neglected when buying, I was a little shocked with the Brooks Saddle initially when I realised only a 2yr guarauntee, however if you register it that extends to a mighty 10 yrs as long as it's maintained properly tensioned proofed and no accidents! Still it made me think about other manufacturers
peckham

Post by peckham »

Passport navigator, cheap £18 and really comfortable.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes I do like the look of that.

And I agree with folks on here who state/imply thay the cheap ones are often the best.

Like al I found my best ever saddle came fitted to a bike - a Cannondale.

Never saw it in a shop.

Eventually saw it on the SJ Street cycles web site for £15. So i bought two more.

I think it was a Selle Royal Look In.

It was so good and such great value that they of course had to discontinue it in case word got around!

For we all know that the arses it was so kind to were profoundly redesigned in about 2005, rendering it obsolete.
Sweep