GPS or maps

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
subandean

GPS or maps

Post by subandean »

We are going on an extended tour through France, Germany and Austria. I have read several Garmin GPS threads on here that have mixed reviews. I have also seen the Mio GPS advertised. I have contemplated using GPS for navigation on our tour and have no interest in the training functions. We are planning to follow a Eurovelo route so would want to upload this into the GPS. We do not plan on taking other electronic devices with us as we want to escape the emails etc and not be oblige to find charging points. Can anyone recommend a model that provides reliable navigation and is easy to use or should I continue with a paper map and one less charger in my pannier?
Psamathe

Re: GPS or maps

Post by Psamathe »

Do you have a smartphone ?

For many a smartphone will do all the mapping/routing/track recording they need. Some thing GPSs better, others not. But if you have a smartphone you can "try before you buy" in that there are free apps, free mapping.

Personally I feel the power issue GPS enthusiasts bring up is not a real issue. It is true that a smartphone power will not last a slong as a GPS, but a smartphone is doing far far more and is easy to recharge. Plus you only need the one device for mapping functions, phone, e-mail, browsing, etc.

Ian
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Power for smartphones is a real issue. Mine wouldn't last a full days ride without help. Thankfully help is cheap in the form of a £12 external battery which powers it for ages (I've never run the external battery flat)
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

If you are interested in places and the region you pass through then a paper map is a must. I'd always have one as backup anyway. I have a Garmin edge touring which is adequate for following a route although I'd hesitate to recommend because of its foibles and poor software. Gps comes into its own when you have an intricate route through a own, want to check you are in the right route and sometimes on long stretches it is reassuring to see you are making progress. On a tour like you describe I'd take gps and maps.
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

I do the following :

I use an Etrex 30 it has never let me down.

http://www.aukadia.net/gps/e30-review.pdf

http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lw3_0.htm

For back up I take an additional two batteries just in case

For cycle planning I use this, http://cycle.travel/ almost bomb proof. In fact I will be cycling from Dieppe to Rouen on 22nd March and most of my planning has been done using this. Route is already loaded into Etrex 30

For additional back up I always take a map
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Can't you get bike mounts for hiking GPS units? They take batteries and some can be really good. Depends on your budget but anything from simple mapping to really good mapping unit. I spotted a bike mount for a satmap 12 unit which is one of the best hiking units. In the UK it uuses OS maps. In 25k and 50k. Zoomable to see details. Can't see why these units can't be used for touring on bikes.
PH

Post by PH »

Map for planning, paper or digital on a large screen. GPS (Mines an Etrex 20) for on road navigation usually from a downloaded track.
This works for me far better than using just a map or route sheets.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

PH wrote:Map for planning, paper or digital on a large screen. GPS (Mines an Etrex 20) for on road navigation usually from a downloaded track.
This works for me far better than using just a map or route sheets.

+1

I would still take a paper map (cut up, perhaps, to save space) as backup, or to get a wider view, but for on-the-go navigation I love my Etrex 20. The Etrexes use 2 AA batteries, available anywhere.
Fretz54

Post by Fretz54 »

I use a Garmin Dakota 10. I got it to do the LEJOG and it was excellent never let me down. I have a bike mount for it. Perfect and not too excpensive.
martin113

Post by martin113 »

I use a Garmin Oregon. Does not have the fitness apps of cycle specific gps but a bigger screen. On my last tour I found I could easily redraw a route on the unit if I was unhappy with the one I was on. Takes two AA batteries but they only last a day. I have a front dynamo with a B and M Luxos front lamp with the USB port and I mostly ran the unit from that so used about 6 batteries in 4 weeks touring. The only restriction is not being able to connect them up in rain so spare batteries need to be carried but Lithium are very light. I use OFM maps on the gps for the whole of Europe which are free to download and superbly drawn for cycling, clearly marking cycle routes and cycle paths. I agree about cycle.travel, which is a great routing tool for cycling in Europe, and can be easily loaded on to the gps, though I always have a good look at the route on Basecamp before deciding it's good to go.

I take Michelin paper maps 1:200,000, which are light to carry, very clear, have a good coverage but are still good for minor roads even at that scale. Send them home when finished with.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I don't normally use GPS for cycling because I find that I end up stopping to look at the thing too often. Even the best have screens that are hard to read on sunny days. But it is a personal thing, and I have found GPS has helped on a few occasions.

I get on well with paper maps, and I see navigation with one as a game, a bit like doing a crossword. I have the map (covered by plastic) in view on my bars. Now and then I stop and study it, and try to remember the next section to avoid too much stopping. And I love getting away from all the electronic stuff that dominates our lives.
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

I use an etrex 20 which I find really good for touring and route finding, although you do need to spend some time learning to use it.

I have used the etrex on its own, but I think the best option, as has been said above, is to have paper maps as well.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

I use an Etrex20/605 and plan all my tours online, I find once I've fettled my route to be exactly how I like it then I don't really need the etrex as I can usually remember most of it! A GPS is very, very handy for town navigation when getting away from stations, for example if the town features many closely spaced turns, and its always there to warn me if I go off course because I'm too busy sight seeing and miss even an obvious turn. Also very good for going off exploring and having the an easy view of just which road to retrace/use to regain the route (I never use the reroute function as the GPS may guess wrong as regards suitability of a road). Maps can do all of this but are a bugger in the wind and rain, and way bulkier on a big tour (or really poor scale) - and maps don't zoom :)
subandean

Post by subandean »

Thank you for all the comments and recommendations. I think that the Etrex 30 looks to be the choice for our trips.
Any recommendations for a mount (preferably a stem mount)?
Thanks
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

And I love getting away from all the electronic stuff that dominates our lives.

+1