Chainstays too short?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Re: Chainstays too short?

Post by nirakaro »

I think it depends on how much money you’ve got, and your priorities for spending it. A few years ago I did UK to Palermo – which is also majorly hilly – quite happily on a bog-standard 21-speed Raleigh hybrid, camping, so it’s quite doable. OTOH, if you want and can afford something fancier, go for it.
RickH

Post by RickH »

My Kinsesis Racelight also has 42cm chainstays & I can fit Ortlieb Back Rollers (40 l - on a Super Tourist DX Topeak rack) to clear my size 10 feet if I set the clips right so they hang beyond the back of the rack slightly, but do make the steering a little light depending on the weight in them. Front rollers (25 l) fit on the back with no problems.

Alternatively you can get an extensions to move panniers back (designed primarily for use with a child seat).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

What do you want panniers for?
From http://www.whileoutriding.com/
RickH

Post by RickH »

BeeKeeper wrote:What do you want panniers for?

or the road equivalent...
(from this topic)

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
irc

Post by irc »

RickH wrote:
BeeKeeper wrote:What do you want panniers for?

or the road equivalent...

Because they keep the weight lower for better handling. Stuff can pretty much get flung in rather than carefully packed. They are quicker to put on and take off the bike. There is plenty spare capacity for stocking up with bulky beer and food near the end of the day. They don't take up space in the main triangle which I use for my 1.5L water bottle. There is space above the rear rack for my bulky but light tent and closed cell foam mat.

I don't need to strap anything to my handlebars. I like to be able to see the front wheel. But that's just a personal preference as most tourers seem to use bar bags.

Downsides for on road use? Panniers and racks are a bit heavier.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

irc wrote:Because they keep the weight lower for better handling. Stuff can pretty much get flung in rather than carefully packed. They are quicker to put on and take off the bike. There is plenty spare capacity for stocking up with bulky beer and food near the end of the day. They don't take up space in the main triangle which I use for my 1.5L water bottle. There is space above the rear rack for my bulky but light tent and closed cell foam mat.

I don't need to strap anything to my handlebars. I like to be able to see the front wheel. But that's just a personal preference as most tourers seem to use bar bags.

Downsides for on road use? Panniers and racks are a bit heavier.

My post was slightly tongue in cheek but I am not sure the idea of keeping panniers low making for better handling (when riding) is really true. The biggest weight on a loaded touring bike is the rider and most of their mass is above the saddle.

My touring bike is slowly going the way of the one in the picture although I do still have rear panniers. Losing the front panniers has improved handling considerably. I have a full frame bag in the middle and the water bottles now sit on the front forks as per the one in the picture. The disadvantage of them there is they have to be removed completely if packing the bike up for flying but that is no hardship and they are easy to reach when riding. And yes I have a bar bag too, wouldn't be without it for valuables.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

frame bags - a solution to buying the wrong bike! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

24x32 is as low (or lower) gear than you'd get on a standard touring bike (such as a Surly LHT). In truth it would be things like the wheels which I might expect to give you trouble whilst laden touring
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bicycler wrote:24x32 is as low (or lower) gear than you'd get on a standard touring bike (such as a Surly LHT). In truth it would be things like the wheels which I might expect to give you trouble whilst laden touring

700C wheels? I have 26x30 on my 26" Dawes 1-Down- seems low enough for me. beyond that I walk.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The OP seems to have 24 X 28 as lowest gear.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Sorry Vorpal I read your first post (suggesting 12-32) but missed the 2nd (identifying it as 13-28). It seems that you, Mercalia and I all agree that the gearing is probably low enough
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

foxyrider wrote:frame bags - a solution to buying the wrong bike! :lol:

Sorry, I don't understand that. But no matter, it is all personal choice. If you are happy with your setup, stick with it.
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

Useful input/suggestions. It may be doable, yet. That pic of the Koga with all the fancy suspended luggage just shouts $$$. Criminal magnet.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Carradice camper longflap saddlebag? Very spacious and you could use it with their SQR system for easy removal. I've toured twice with a longflap saddlebag on a small mountain bike with short chainstays – very stable handling and much easier to negotiate barriers than panniers. Having said that, I still couldn't resist getting a Thorn :mrgreen: .
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

Slow Loris wrote:Having said that, I still couldn't resist getting a Thorn :mrgreen: .

So, how was it for you?