Chainstays too short?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
maxglide

Chainstays too short?

Post by maxglide »

I was thinking of kitting out on my cheap Decathalon hybrid into a homebrew tourer when - horror - I measured the rear chainstays to find they are only 42cm. And I'm an 11.5 shoe. A quick simulation on a stand showed I'd probably boot the panniers off, on the first rotation of the crank. So, I suppose it's a new Thorn then, unless anyone has suggestions..
lowrider

Re: Chainstays too short?

Post by lowrider »

Hi

Whats the length of a touring bike chainstay 445 mm so your about an inch too short? what about an axle mounted rack that might give you the extra inch I also try to fit the panniers as far back on the rack as I can that works but I only take a 9 shoe size.

Ps some disc type racks might also work.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I think you need to tell us what answer you're really hoping for. :-)
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

nirakaro wrote:I think you need to tell us what answer you're really hoping for.

Was it that obvious - OK, I'm trying to talk myself into a LHT with 26" wheels.

The chainstay problem is probably an excuse to justify forking over, what, £1k ?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you want a new Thorn or LHT, by all means buy one. :D

But you may be able to use your hybrid by one or more means....
-setting the panniers further back. This will tend to make the front a bit light, so you need to put some weight on the front to make up for it. Some heavier bits in a handlebar bag, or strap on front rack, plus a small load there should do it
-use front panniers on the rear; they are typically smaller, and you may be able to use them without kicking them. You will then need to carry less, put more stuff on the rack top, carry stuff in the front, etc.
-carry stuff mainly on the rack top using a cargo box or similar; again this will limit what you carry, and may make the front end light
-pull a small trailer, instead of using panniers
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

you need to find a rear carrier that will keep the panniers further back? Thats how it is with my Dawes 1-Down that has about the same length chainstays. I have big feet also and the carrier keeps the panniers well away from my feet. cheaper than a new bike? In my favour my ancient karrimor panniers are also angled at the foot end, narrower at the bottom , that helps a bit
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Don't know what panniers and fixings and what rack, but have you tried adjusting the fixings to move them back a bit. I have Super Cs and the hooks can move the full length of the pannier. There is a recommended position (distance of centres), but it is quite wide.

Please don't get a LHT, I am getting fed up with all the people buying by them. Anyone would think they were a good touring bike. Pretty soon burglar bill and snotty snatchbike will start to recognise them and I'll have to start taking a bit of care of mine.
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I have a Pletscher rack which is lightweight, strong, and in steel. Excellent quality fittings too, I recommend them. I'll attempt to move it aft to improve heel clearance. Here's the bike if you're interested:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-30 ... 84495.html

BTW, would the gearing on this thing be ok for hills/passes? It's never seen a hill as I live in the flat country.

*Freewheel Shimano MF-TZ21
* 7 Speed
* 3 Chainrings (24x34x42)
* V-brakes (bit rubbish)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It depends on what gears you have.

Other 21 gear Rockriders have 24X34X42 and 12-32 in the rear which should be okay for touring. If you have something different, post what it is, and someone on here can say.

Or use Sheldon Brown's gear calculator to work out haw many gear inches you have. Typically touring bikes should be around or under 20 gear inches. Some people are okay with a bit higher, but others prefer more like 16 as their bottom gear inches for touring. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. A MTB hybrid like yours should be okay for touring, and the worst that will happen is you have to walk up a hill or two, or stop for a breather. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think some racks allow the panniers to be put a little further back. Tubus do a nice one (Logo?) that lets you put them lower and a bit further back than most. Worth investigating, perhaps.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

maxglide wrote:
*Freewheel Shimano MF-TZ21
* 7 Speed
* 3 Chainrings (24x34x42)
* V-brakes (bit rubbish)

Looks like 13 - 28 in the rear. Which gives you a bottom gear of just over 23 inches (depending on cranks, tyres, etc.).

I expect that's okay for most touring. I would prefer something a little lower, but I might just try it and see how I get on.
georgew

Post by georgew »

It's probably worth saying that moving the Panniers back may cause shimmy on some bikes........not a good thing if carrying no spare underwear.
Low and as close to the saddle as possible is a good rule.
irc

Post by irc »

What kind of touring> I've done a 3 day hostel based tour on a Ridgeback hybrid. No problems. Pack light, use front panniers on the rear rack to avoid heelstrike along with a handlebar bag. Should be enough space for credit card style tours.
nez

Post by nez »

Or a Nelson longflap. I'm always amazed what goes in mine
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

What kind of touring?

I'm thinking of UK to Turkey, which is majorly hilly. This bike might not be the answer.