Mains USB charger for a 3 week tour?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bainbridge

Mains USB charger for a 3 week tour?

Post by bainbridge »

Hi

In April I'll be doing a tour across Holland and Germany and will need to do some charging along the way for my smartphone and Garmin Edge Touring.

Now, I have a mains plug with a USB socket so can charge both devices (using their respective wires) but won't be able to do so simultaneously. I'll be hostelling where possible but don't want to be hanging around standing guard while the devices charge.

I'm considering getting one of these powered USB hubs: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N9ZNJRO/r ... YWKT&psc=1

Apparently these can charge multiple devices quickly but the downside is the weight: Nearly half a kilo!

Another option is to buy an extra one of these and another EU adaptor: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-AC- ... 1496148380?

This would be much lighter but how do I stand with using multiple sockets at a hostel? Is there a queue for this sort of thing?

Another option would be to buy another phone battery in order to last a few days without having to charge the phone and then when in the comfort of an actual hotel room give everything a good charge, but in any case the Garmin will need to be charged every day.

Any comments or touring experience to share around this sort of thing will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Psamathe

Re: Mains USB charger for a 3 week tour?

Post by Psamathe »

bainbridge wrote:I'm considering getting one of these powered USB hubs: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N9ZNJRO/r ... YWKT&psc=1

Apparently these can charge multiple devices quickly but the downside is the weight: Nearly half a kilo!

I'm sure there are lighter versions of such devices on the market (and you don't need that number of ports). Smaller will probably mean less power capacity. But I'd assume that leaving the battery charger pack on charge is less of a risk than leaving a smartphone and Garmin charging.

Unfortunately I can't recommend any such devices as I've only looked at them on the internet and don't have experience to say good/bad.

Ian
beardy

Post by beardy »

Now, I have a mains plug with a USB socket so can charge both devices (using their respective wires) but won't be able to do so simultaneously. I'll be hostelling where possible but don't want to be hanging around standing guard while the devices charge.

You can buy USB plugs with a double (or more) USB outlet and then use USB to whatever leads.

I have not yet seen anybody's devices get nicked from a hostel and they seem to be left on charge everywhere. Especially nice if you get a bed with a plug under it. :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I just purchased this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... ge_o02_s00 > it has interchangeable pins for Europe USA Australia and the UK, works from 100V to 240V and charges up to four devices simultaneously from four USB ports. Its fairly cheap too and can be used at home for charging things too.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 14 Mar 2015, 1:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

One of the modern challenges, how to stay powered up!

I purchased a plug with 2 USB sockets for use on the continent. I have phone, Garmin and Kindle to keep charged and need 2 cables (Garmin has different socket to the phone and Kindle). Can charge up 2 simultaneously = no problem. On 16 day ride from France to Tuscany and back last summer never an issue. Did ride earlier last summer with 3 others, 2 of whom forgot their chargers (it does happen), and the double charger invaluable. If using single charger means have to change over ie wake up in night and swap.

I also purchased a double for use in UK, but I think you can get 3 or even more sockets. Have also just remembered that my LED lights are now rechargeable, so they will also work from these plugs (didn't have rechargeable last year). Also have a plug with changeable pins, ie 2 pin and 3 pin - useful when camping when only socket is shaver socket.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
PH

Post by PH »

To save having to watch over your devices while they charge, might you be better off with a power pack? Something like one of these;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/13000mAh-Portab ... er+charger

OK,if it gets nicked it's still a £20 loss, but nothing like the cost and inconvenience of loosing your phone or Garmin. I don't know how much charge the Garmin needs, but this Anker model is the one I've got and it'll recharge me phone from flat three or four times. If that's not enough there are higher capacity versions, though the size and weight goes up.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

PH wrote:To save having to watch over your devices while they charge, might you be better off with a power pack? Something like one of these;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/13000mAh-Portab ... er+charger

OK,if it gets nicked it's still a £20 loss, but nothing like the cost and inconvenience of loosing your phone or Garmin. I don't know how much charge the Garmin needs, but this Anker model is the one I've got and it'll recharge me phone from flat three or four times. If that's not enough there are higher capacity versions, though the size and weight goes up.

I have the smaller Anker powerbank a 8400mAh that's only 180g measures 100x60x20mm (fag packet size) and that'll do a Nexus7 twice, or a smartphone x5 or a Garmin 605 x6 or indeed any combination thereof, has two USB connectors labelled 1A and 2A, but if you use both at same time then it's just 2 x 1A (the dedicated 1A is for older devices that choke on 2A (my old Nokia 6500)). Latest Anker models have better output and don't share total, so even better for touring use.
I charge the powerbank at cafe stops, in the pub or overnight if needed (takes 4hrs from empty) and use it whenever for the smaller devices, fairly easy to remember what charge you've used and how much to put back in, so charge a phone once and a cafe stop will refill it, phone and GPS just needs two beers in the pub ;-)
Most multi USB charger plugs appear to share their outputs, so you get say one fast 2A output or slower 2x 1A (or however many Amps/USB outlets) so as my single 3.1A USB plug takes only 4hrs to fully recharge the powerbank I can get by without a lot of time watching a wallwart.
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

I have one of these http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/portapow-crystal-usb-mains-charger/ - mains charger with 4 USB sockets - and interchangeable UK/US/Euro mains plugs.

Also sometimes take one of their USB poweerpacks.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Thanks everyone for your replies. With weight being an important factor I've ordered a 2amp mains plug with 2 usb sockets on it. There were lots out there but most of them wouldn't spread the 2amps across both ports, but apparently this one does.

Plus it weighs very little :-)

Must keep the weight down!
PH

Post by PH »

bainbridge wrote:Must keep the weight down!

Why? Do you really think you'd notice an extra 300g?
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

PH wrote:
bainbridge wrote:Must keep the weight down!

Why? Do you really think you'd notice an extra 300g?

Why? Because I don't want to lug anything non-essential up hills!

300g doesn't sound much, but along with the accompanying wiring and plug, the phone itself and the gps unit that'll be about a kilo of electronics :shock:

The powerpack would be great if weight wasn't important, but I can't justify it when there are lighter options available.
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

I've just picked up a Power Monkey Extreme for charging what little I carry. Garmin 1000, camera and an I phone really. I don't mind buying the odd battery for headlamps or the like when required.
Anyone any experience of these (I have read various reviews re the solar charging unit and I'm expecting very little from that) ?