The ultimate battery charger for touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bigjim

Re: The ultimate battery charger for touring?

Post by bigjim »

I carry a USB charger from the £1 shop. Comes with a wall socket and takes two AA batteries. Works brilliantly. Went out and bought a spare. Not bad for £2. I've had them for about three years, used them a lot and they are still working fine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

To clarify.

When not plugged into the mains it will charge your usb devices from AAs inserted into it?
Sweep
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Sweep wrote:To clarify.

When not plugged into the mains it will charge your usb devices from AAs inserted into it?

No. The USB end goes into the 2 pin continental wall plug and the charger is on the other end. That way you can also charge it through a computer I guess.
gharwo

Post by gharwo »

I used to carry a 7dayshop separate charger and transformer. The charger was light but the transformer heavy. Last tour I got one of these - about the smallest I could find. Not fast but good enough overnight for two gps and camera batteries. Can also charge a single AA/AAA cell. The front below the display pulls down and the batteries extend below the unit on spring loaded contacts. Small and light, has built in US prongs and adapters for UK continental.