Bike lubing/cleaning on tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
don1

Bike lubing/cleaning on tour

Post by don1 »

Hi. I'm new to multi-day touring; my touring so far has just been single nights away.

If you're camping for example, what do you guys do with regards to cleaning and lubing for longer tours ?
Do you just take a rag and lube, and then give the bike a proper clean and degrease when back home ?
TrevA

Re: Bike lubing/cleaning on tour

Post by TrevA »

Don't usually bother to clean it, but I take a small bottle of Finish Line wet lube or similar. If you get caught in day long rain, you can find that your chain starts to rust. A pack of disposable Wet wipes can give the frame/components a quick clean if you feel it's necessary.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

As above I carry a bottle of chain lube and apply when appropriate. Tom Allen suggests wiping/lubing the chain everyday but I've never been that diligent!

With regards to cleaning, I cleaned my bike once in 8 weeks on the last trip I did. Mainly becuase I had been through a particularly 'sandy' area and I was worried about the long terms effects of the sand that was plastered to the bike.

If you are camping it depends a bit on access to water/bucket/sponge etc. so sometimes it's a case of if you get the chance to clean your bike don't turn it down!

Finally, yes. Now I'm back I'll be giving the bike a good clean, degrease and service before I set off again.

I think you have to get used to the fact that your bike is going to take some abuse because you can't clean it as often as perhaps you would at home.
beardy

Post by beardy »

On tour I use a thinner oil or one that claims* to have a cleaning action as well as a lubricating action.

Sometimes I will give the chain a proper clean if staying at a YHA or other access to hot water and dishwashing liquid and somewhere to dry the chain.

*For example Pro-gold Prolink but I am dubious as to whether it does much cleaning and the chain wear rate was higher than at home with a vigorous chain cleaning routine.
Cheap 3 in 1 would probably have been as good!
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

I take 37 ml bottle (v small and refillable) of White Lightning and apply as required but certainly every 2 or 3 days - takes only a little time to put on, build up of wax and I find it works well, but everyone has their own favourite. Part of the morning ritual - pack up the bike, lube the chain, pump the tyres. I also take wetwipes - use to clean chain, two or three rotations of the chain and reasonably clean, then apply the White Lightning. If been through wet and muddy conditions, handful of wetwipes can get most of the bike clean, frame and mechs, so an essential item for me.

Wetwipes also clean self after mechanical or puncture. In the old days I didn't seem to mind but these days I hate having oil on hands. Also find that wetwipes excellent at getting grease, oil, etc off carpets or clothes, sometimes with additional help of Pedros degreaser. Would hate to think what this does to babies' bottoms but an essential item on any trip.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Wipe down occasionally. Just look after the drive train and simple oiling elsewhere.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I have an eye dropper with chain oil in it which obviously gets used as needed. The longest I've been away is a month, so nothing special needed, although on one trip I had 2 weeks of rain so oiled the chain a bit more. Everything is sparkly clean and well looked after when I leave home so a few weeks away just means a bit of travel grime that's all.
robing

Post by robing »

find a rag somewhere - usually easy on a campsite. Small bottle of lube.
khain

Post by khain »

Some people say cleaning a chain only makes it worse, unless you actually take the chain off the bike and soak it for a few days. The reasoning is that cleaning/relubing just pushes the dirt further in. Others say you should clean it regularly.

I've no idea what the truth is. I've never noticed cleaning making any difference to the life of chains so I never bother. I just lube them when they starts to squeak or rust. I never clean the rest of the bike either. What good does it do?
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

I take a small bottle of oil and a rag stuffed under the saddle. I'll clean the chain when it gets noisey. It might be a once every few days, or a couple of times aday. Riding thru sand, wet mud, clay, etc will soon strip oil and/or trash the drivetrain.

I don't really bother cleaning otherwise. The exception would be keeping brake calipers clear and any other moving parts. The less I look like robbing the better imo !
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If my bike gets very dirty due to rain/red slime on the road or riding off road in dust, I take it into my shower and give it a good clean.

Admittedly I am talking about cheaper hotels in Asia with walk-in shower bathrooms. I always make sure I clean up thoroughly and usually leave the bathroom cleaner than when I started.

For normal use, an old flannel wetted can wipe off most muck.

The main reason I worry about the bile looking clean is so I can take it into hotels, etc overnight.