First two weeks tour in Europe in June: where?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
neilob

Re: First two weeks tour in Europe in June: where?

Post by neilob »

smith4188 wrote: Romania had busy main roads or dirt tracks and not much else.

I absolutely disagree with this broad and misleading statement!! Of course there are busy roads and of course there are dirt tracks but please don't assume there isn't anything else. I've done a lot of touring in my time and seen a lot of places, and Romania is up there with the best. The Carpathians are stunning, the Danube has some of the best scenery ever, the Danube Delta is magical, and the welcoming people make it a wonderful destination. And on top of all that, food and drink are great value as is accommodation. Don't believe everything you read about Romania and Romanians. We're going back again this year. BTW, Serbia is another (unlikely?) destination with great people and great roads. You just need to do a little research first.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
smith4188

Post by smith4188 »

neilob wrote:
smith4188 wrote: Romania had busy main roads or dirt tracks and not much else.

I absolutely disagree with this broad and misleading statement!! Of course there are busy roads and of course there are dirt tracks but please don't assume there isn't anything else. I've done a lot of touring in my time and seen a lot of places, and Romania is up there with the best. The Carpathians are stunning, the Danube has some of the best scenery ever, the Danube Delta is magical, and the welcoming people make it a wonderful destination. And on top of all that, food and drink are great value as is accommodation. Don't believe everything you read about Romania and Romanians. We're going back again this year. BTW, Serbia is another (unlikely?) destination with great people and great roads. You just need to do a little research first.

By "not much else" I was talking about the roads. It wasn't a statement about Romania in general. Although I found one or two quieter B roads, the vast majority were busy main roads and unpaved tracks. You only have to look at the 1:500000 map of the country. The yellow B-roads are few and far between, which is a shame because they were much more fun. But yes, you're right, Romania is worth a visit, but I didn't enjoy it as much as any of eastern Europe's other countries. That said, Sibiu and Sighisoara were nice.
http://www.EuropeByBicycle.com - Country-by-country touring info for 54 European nations and disputed regions
mschs

Post by mschs »

So I'm going to Lisbon on Saturday, staying for 12 days (leaving from Lisbon)
I can't decide between going north, cycling around Coimbra, Serra de Estrelas, or head south - I've heard the mountains at the border between the Alentejo and Algarve are beautiful.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Have a good time! Weather forecast looks good but hottish, 26 or 27 over the weekend but a bit cooler the following week.