Lon Las Cymru - 4 or 5 days

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Smith873

Lon Las Cymru - 4 or 5 days

Post by Smith873 »

I'm making plans to ride and camp the LLC route north (Holyhead) to south (Cardiff) in May. I've booked my outward train ticket and bike reservation from London to Holyhead but not the return journey from Cardiff as I'm unsure whether the route will be ridden over 4 or 5 days. What's the view from those of you that have ridden the route?

My preference is a four day schedule, as follows:

Day 1: Holyhead --> Criccieth
Day 2: Criccieth --> Llanidloes
Day 3: Llanidloes --> Brecon
Day 4: Brecon --> Cardiff

Are these good stopping places - particularly for camping?

I'm comfortable to cycle around 70 miles a day loaded.
PH

Re: Lon Las Cymru - 4 or 5 days

Post by PH »

Ha, what Colin said, it's certainly hilly. I don't think you'll have a problem getting onto campsites in May, why not make it up as you go along? Depending on where your train is back to, maybe you could book for the five day and ride part of the train journey if you do it in four. I rode Cardiff to Bristol on day 5, if it had taken an extra day to get to Cardiff, a walk on train ticket wouldn't have been to expensive.
Two not very fit cyclists managed it quite easily in four days, the first day included getting there and we stopped in Bangor after 25 miles. On the other days we set off quite early, didn't rush and had set up camp by early evening. If you're used to 70 mile days I doubt you'll struggle doing it in four.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I did it in four days, stopping at Erwood (near Glasbury, between Brecon and Builth Wells), Machynlleth, and Criccieth. But if I did it again I'd be tempted to take five days over it or even more - it's such a lovely route that it's a shame to rush it.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
thedarnloop

Post by thedarnloop »

I got to Holyhead about lunchtime and just made it to Porthmadog in time for B&B at 7pm. Day 2 to Machynlleth. Big hill to Rhayader and Builth Wells (unpleasant for not obvious reason) on Day 3. Final day all the way to Cardiff Bay.
It is hilly after Anglesey but what goes up must come down (fun). Watch out for old road South of Llanidloes that turns into a boggy bridleway (unless it's fixed now?). Path over Beacons isn't as grim as it looks (tramway gradient) and then it's all down the valley on a railway path. Don't get lost in Merthyr. Brilliant ride in a beautiful country. When you've done go back and repeat on a mountain bike - epic.
james01

Post by james01 »

I'd give it 5 days, if you're going too fast you can always stop and enjoy the sights.
Nice camping at Dol-Llys Farm, Llanidloes. It's only a 10 minute cycle into town, good pubs etc. The site has a kitchenette with microwave and kettle, saves brewing up in your tent.
Pencelli Castle near Brecon: well-run site, a bit expensive. Village setting on the Brecon canal with nice pubs.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I'm doing it in 5 days - starting in Bangor (6 if you include my circle out onto Anglesey) . 35 - 55 miles per day, though I am doing the B&B thing so my route (and mileage) reflects that and the hills that will be encountered.

But I will be stopping to smell the roses along the way - lots of pictures and all - what with all the castles and views along the way.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I did it last year Bristol to Holyhead and stayed in B and Bs. Make sure you have looked at the Sustrans map and on forums regarding some off road sections as these may not be suitable for fully loaded camping tourer. Also the Briwet bridge was closed and there was a diversion. Personally I didn't find this a problem but it was much discussed here.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83459
As for he ride lumpy as others have said but a lovely ride.
ikenbikeit

Post by ikenbikeit »

I have done the Chepstow to Holyhead route 3 times.

The first time I took four days, the second five and the last six, always fully laden.
It could be that I have got 9 years older, but I definitely enjoyed the last best of all. We had time to sightsee in Builth during the Royal Welsh and had a great night out in Caernarfon. We also had longer to linger in a brilliant vegetarian caff in Llanidloes and a visit to Centre for Alternative technology.

It depends what you want - a slog fest or a sight fest. The first time I felt I was passing through, the last as if I was involved in Welsh life.

Meet the people!
james01

Post by james01 »

ikenbikeit wrote:Igreat night out in Caernarfon.

We also enjoyed Caernarfon. Good camping at Cwm Cadnant Valley on the Llanberis Road out of town (10 min walk into the centre, very rural atmosphere despite urban setting, and car-free segregated area for non-motorised campers).
ikenbikeit

Post by ikenbikeit »

Been on that campsite 3 times. A nice segregated backpacking area and a great welcome.
With it being a Welsh speaking town, Caernarfon has its own marvellous flavour. I'm ashamed to say I can understand more in a bar in the Dordogne.
Smith873

Post by Smith873 »

Well, I managed to complete my Lon Las Cymru tour a couple of weeks ago. Stuck faithfully to NCN 8 for most of the route with a slight diversion off the Taff Trail just north of Cardiff to visit some friends in the Rhymney Valley.

I took the route over a leisurely 6 days camping each night, except for my last Caerphilly overnight stop.

Weather was mixed with a strong south-westerly headwind most of the way.

I saw only two other tourists along the entire route. One chap going the same direction as me who broke his chain neat Llanidloes (I offered my spare link), and a tandem going northwards that I passed near Builth Wells.

Scenery was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely do it again, soon hopefully, and perhaps South to North next time.

My overnight stops were:

- Llanllyfni (south of Caernarfon)
- Dolgellau
- Rhayader
- Talybont-on-Usk
- Caerphilly

I've posted some video of my journey on youtube if anyone is interested - https://youtu.be/F81xftVeV7Q
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Nice! Do you have a writeup or blog? My LLC trip is just around the corner (end of July) - though I will be starting in Chester. Was the NCN 8 easy to follow? I see from the video (watched it without sound as I am at work) that there are some gates to pass through. I assume that is a common occurrence? Also - I hear there are some 25% grade hills in Wales - anything like that along NCN 8?
Smith873

Post by Smith873 »

No write-up I'm afraid, only the video.

NCN 8 is fairly well sign-posted the whole length of the route. There are some instances where signs are missing or obscured by vegetation, but overall easy to follow. Still, I had my gps which made things a lot easier when navigating. Also, as backup I had a printed copy of the route from http://cycle.travel/route/lon_las_cymru (recommended).

There are lots of gates! Best addition to my bike before leaving for the ride (apart from the GPS) was the fitting of a kick-stand. Used this a lot when going through gates, as well as for taking pics when there wasn't anything to lean the bike against.

There are some steep sections. The two memorable ones are the the climb up to the hills at the back of Harlech (I reckon around 22% near the beginning) and the long winding climb between Machynlleth and Llanidloes.

The scenery is amazing and so varied. Lush green valleys when following the Wye, to the barren hills around Snowdonia when your only company will be the sheep. Like I did, I'm sure you'll have the most fantastic and memorable journey.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Nice. I will have my GPS with me as well. I also have the Sustrans LLC North and South map but will take a look at that link you posted.

Those are the two areas where the steepness looks about right. I have my proposed route posted in my own thread on here but it pretty much sticks to the NCN 8 as best as one can while using RideWithGPS. Some sections the route goes a little bonky but I blame that on the mapping software.

I am hoping for some drier weather (rained every day on my Ireland trip) when I am there as well, in order to better see said scenery.