North Antrim Coast Road any Advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sunrise

North Antrim Coast Road any Advice

Post by Sunrise »

Hi all

Thinking of a week or so touring from Belfast up round the North Coast (think its sustrans rote 93).

I have some concerns that the route seems to be the A2 main road, has anyone any experience of how busy/safe it would be in terms of traffic.

Unforunately we need to go first week August, so potentially a busy week ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated including places to visit/accomodation etc or route reccomendations.

Many thanks

Mick
MickTheCyclist

Re: North Antrim Coast Road any Advice

Post by MickTheCyclist »

Hi mick
It's a 2 lane A road with no cycle path or hard shoulder. August is busiest time with lots of tourist traffic and day trippers concentrating on the scenery. Sunday is particular busy. Not saying it's unsafe but not a ride to relax and enjoy the scenery. Problem is it's the only road so all traffic is funnelled onto it.

The North Antrim coast between Ballycastle and Portrush is more scenic in my opinion (Giants Causeway etc) and there is a choice of quieter roads in that area. Alternative suggestion is to head west from Belfast, maybe the Belfast - Ballyshannon route and then turn North round lough Neagh or through the Sperrins to the North coast. Have a look at http://www.cycleni.com for routes and info.

Mick
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Thanks Mick I feared that would be the case, might rethink based on your advice
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

A group of us, on a day trip, cycled the road from Larne on a Sunday in September. Didn't appear to be that busy and plenty of other cyclists out too.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

Paulatic wrote:A group of us, on a day trip, cycled the road from Larne on a Sunday in September. Didn't appear to be that busy and plenty of other cyclists out too.

I agree, September would be fine, schools back, tourists gone. OP was asking about August. Lots of better, quiet, scenic places to cycle in NI in August than the A2
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Would I be right in thinking that the Belfast to Bally castle might be the busiest part and rest of the North cosst a bit quieter.
Thinking of Micks suggestion , eg going west from Belfast then North up to Londonderry and just do the Derry - Portrush ending somewhere near Rathlin Island
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

Sunrise wrote:Would I be right in thinking that the Belfast to Bally castle might be the busiest part and rest of the North cosst a bit quieter.
Thinking of Micks suggestion , eg going west from Belfast then North up to Londonderry and just do the Derry - Portrush ending somewhere near Rathlin Island

All of the Antrim coast is popular in the summer. The problem is with the Larne to Cushendall coast road as it's the only route so carries all the tourist traffic. Once you are up on the North Coast anywhere west of Cushendall there are plenty of quieter roads so you don't need to stay on the A2.
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

Just some general advice/ideas.
The areas worth considering in my opinion:
In the North the Antrim coast between Coleraine and ballycastle
In the west the Lough Erne area around Enniskillen and the Sperrins
In the East, Strangford Lough and the Mournes

If it was my tour for a week I would get the train from Belfast to Derry/Londonderry, do the North Antrim coast for 2 days then go west and south through the Sperrins to Enniskillen then return to belfast on the Ballyshannon route.
Leave Strangford for next time.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Thanks very much Mick, sounds like sensible advice, will probably do something like that then.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

I went from Larne to Donegal in July a couple of years ago and used the A2 for a lot of the way. I found it ok. I don't like using cycle paths but after Limavaddy there are wide pavements that take cyclists off the road. I was easier to use these than to stay on the road. I was a bit apprehensive about finding my way through Derry but it was quite straight forward.
The worst thing was thick fog between Cushendal and Ballycastle. Make sure you have lights
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

It'll be busy in August. As already suggested, try going through the Sperrins. Still roads, but much quieter and absolutely stunning.
What type of accommodation are you after?
I know lots of good rural places (local knowledge).
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

A plan is now forming:

Maybe Enniskillen up through Omagh ,Strabane, Londonderry , then North coast to Bally castle,

Or Dungannon,Cookstown then west across to Strabane to pick up same route as above.

Third option is same Dungannon, Cookstown route but cutting across the spearing mountains north.

Any or all advice appreciated.

Would accommodation be a factor on any of the routes, B+b or pubs is preferred option.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Apologies for dodgy spellings and punctuation etc, not the greatest typist and iPad makes it worse!!
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Farawayvisions wrote:It'll be busy in August. As already suggested, try going through the Sperrins. Still roads, but much quieter and absolutely stunning.
What type of accommodation are you after?
I know lots of good rural places (local knowledge).

We normally use b+b s. Farmhouses pubs etc but any suggestions welcome, just browsed your website and am very envious, note to self, must do more with my life
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Hi Sunrise
Life is good as they say. :-) Thanks for popping over to my site and saying nice things.

Have a look at these options and let me know if I'm on the right track. Price wise, this is about average. Pubs are not what they are in England as drinking hours are longer, even unofficially, and there's often music, which might not be to your taste. I've only put one rural location in for now, but I'll give you a few more choices once you've had a look at these.

Strabane -B&B Great owners and next door to Oysters, the best restaurant in town http://www.flavouroftyrone.com/accommodation/specific/mks-bb

Gortin (Sperrins) - There's this gorgeous little cottage, if you and your wife want somewhere a little bit special. I lived here myself for a year, though it's not mine.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g3643591-d2297302-Mr_McGregor_s_Cottage-Gortin_County_Tyrone_Northern_Ireland.html

Derry - B&B Central location within the city walls, http://no8thetownhouse.co.uk/accommodation