cycles on trains in Republic of Ireland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dillonroger

cycles on trains in Republic of Ireland

Post by dillonroger »

I have been told that on intercity trains in Ireland (eg Dublin - Galway) there is a limit of 2 bikes/train. This is somewhat limiting for our group of 3!
Does anyone have experience of this? Is it worth taking a chance or would it be wise for one of us to book on a the next train?
mcallaghan

Re: cycles on trains in Republic of Ireland

Post by mcallaghan »

I took a train with my bike on my Ireland tour and while it wasn't the Dublin-to-Galway, it was a train from the South heading to Galway. There was no bike storage on the train, so I took it to the last carriage and held it/propped it up in the back and sat next to it. It was a pretty empty carriage and no one was bothered by it, so I am sure something similar would be fine in your case.

For my Ireland trip, I spent a lot of time on this Irish Cycling Forum where I am sure the locals can better answer the question!
Galwayduck

Re: cycles on trains in Republic of Ireland

Post by Galwayduck »

Trains in Ireland generally have room for 4 bikes, on a first come, first served basis.
My advice to you is to take a bus instead.
Gobus and citilink operate regular,direct, excellent value services day and night between all major population centres. Drivers and staff are helpful and there is generally more than enough room for 3 bikes. Bus Eireann cover all other routes, and on the occasions we have used them the drivers have made it clear that while they should have charged us extra for the bikes, they haven't!