Berwick-upon-Tweed to Hawick - best route and how hard?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
badams

Berwick-upon-Tweed to Hawick - best route and how hard?

Post by badams »

I'm doing something for work in Berwick-upon-Tweed soon, and have been invited to take part in something in Hawick the next day. They've suggested I hire a car but it got me thinking.... perhaps I could just take my bike and cycle it. So on the off-chance that anyone has cycled between Berwick and Hawick before, or a nearby route, I'd really appreciate your thoughts about the best route and whether it is realistic to do it in a few hours. It is perhaps a bit daft as I'd have to be in Hawick by 11am, but in terms of distance the route I've found (a 'balanced' route from cyclestreets.net which largely avoids the A698) would suggest that it is possible (45miles ish) and it doesn't seem to be too crazily hilly but that of course only tells half the story, so if anyone has any knowledge of the roads round there, it'd be great to hear what they're like (on first inspection the A698 didn't seem too bad to me, on paper, but it sounds as though it has a nasty reputation so it's that kind of thing which would be useful too). Plus, I'm from Norfolk so, er, not exactly well-acquainted with massive hills.

Hope someone might be able to help!
thanks, adam
thirdcrank

Re: Berwick-upon-Tweed to Hawick - best route and how hard?

Post by thirdcrank »

For part of the way, you might consider the Tweed Cycle Route

http://www.cyclescottishborders.com/rou ... cle-route/

There is a reason why the Borders form the border and it's not because the terrain is easy.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I've done it a couple of times albeit on Sundays. Roads are quiet, even that A road as I recall it. Coming up the B road through Swinton is an easy road, if it's not windy. To Kelso, then towards St Boswells and up to Hawick has been my route in the past.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
badams

Post by badams »

Thank you Paulatic and thirdcrank. I take your point about the bordersishness of the Borders... hm.
Thanks Paulatic for the tip about the A road too... I did wonder if it might be ok. Seems less demanding incline-wise too. But do you think allowing 5 hours, it'd be doable? It'd mean leaving at 5am, admittedly.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

How long it takes depends on how fast you cycle of course. It's not a hilly route but it is of course uphill from sea level to ~180m above.
My last time up that road it was a very strong headwind with very little shelter. It was March though so everything bare.

E2E info
badams

Post by badams »

Hm, ok, thanks. It'll be April so not much better. I'm not a roadie by any means; will be loaded too, so probably ~15 mph av. Will think about it more. thanks very much!
beardy

Post by beardy »

badams wrote:Hm, ok, thanks. It'll be April so not much better. I'm not a roadie by any means; will be loaded too, so probably ~15 mph av. Will think about it more. thanks very much!

Do you mean that you do 15mph average in Norfolk?

It varies with all the specific conditions but on the same rig I can average 15mph on the plains and that can often convert to an average of 10mph in the hills.
badams

Post by badams »

Good point beardy. I don't really know. I tend to think to myself i average at 15mph but then usually surprise myself - I guess a bit of a game where I think that's how quick I'll be and then am pleasantly surprised, rather than aiming higher and being disappointed! But I think yes, you're probably right, depending on how hilly it is, somewhere between 10 and 15 mph is probably realistic. So maths-wise my journey would work... just whether it would legs-wise...
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Paulatic wrote:How long it takes depends on how fast you cycle of course. It's not a hilly route but it is of course uphill from sea level to ~180m above.
My last time up that road it was a very strong headwind with very little shelter. It was March though so everything bare.

Not sure where the 180m altitude comes from? Hawick is around 100m and nowhere between Hawick and Berwick is any higher really.

Best route might be the B6461 from Berwick to Kelso, fairly straight and relatively gentle rolling road. From Kelso head for Roxburgh, then minor road to Nisbet, on to Ancrum, then minor road that follows the north side of the River Teviot all the way to Hawick, very nice roads.
Couple of cafes between Nisbet and Ancrum, one at Harestanes visitor centre and another just along the road at a garden centre.

Good chance of a headwind of some sort going between Berwick and Hawick though.
badams

Post by badams »

Thanks very much rualexander.... great to have a cafe tip-off too!
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Harestanes cafe might not be open for the season when you are going though.
But the one along the road at Woodside should be

If you go via St Boswells, there is another nice cafe at Lilliesleaf
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I stand corrected, Hawick is only 100m when I look at the map. The Internet told me 180 but that is Hawick Mill obviously on the surrounding hills.
Have you any recommended cafes in Kelso, Alexander?

E2E info
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Paulatic wrote:I stand corrected, Hawick is only 100m when I look at the map. The Internet told me 180 but that is Hawick Mill obviously on the surrounding hills.
Have you any recommended cafes in Kelso, Alexander?

I don't know the cafe situation in Kelso, not been that far east very often,.
badams

Post by badams »

I've looked into the B-road route that rualexander recommended and it looks perfect; thanks very much. Thinking about my route back again and starting to wonder if it wouldn't be more fun to go onto Carlisle and return home from there by train, rather than retracing my steps. Don't suppose anyone has any tips about that part of the route (Hawick to Carlisle, avoiding nasty A roads, etc)? Will be a fair bit more hilly, I can see!
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Limited choice from Hawick south really, but the B6399 to Newcastleton is a nice road and pretty quiet. From Newcastleton you can either stay on the B road or take the minor road to the border at Kershopefoot and then take your pick of the minor roads on to Carlisle