Sharing Garmin Maps between devices or using OSM

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I'm doing a 4 week tour of USA and Canada (mostly US only 2 days in Canada), and I am planning to using my Garmin 800 for Navigation

The Garmin Maps for North America are $80, but I will probably never use them again

One of my friends that is also going has a Garmin, and there are 3 other people going who don't currently have, but are considering buying a Garmin

My questions are:

A: If I buy a map of USA can I share it (and the cost) with my friends
B: Does anyone have any experience of using the free OSM Maps in the US and how do they compare with the Garmin equivalent

Thanks in advance
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Sharing Garmin Maps between devices or using OSM

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I haven't used Garmin-format OSM maps of the States but I have a bit of (ok, too much) experience of OSM generally in the US.

In urban areas it's pretty good.

In many rural areas, there's a systemic problem whereby dirt tracks, gravel roads, and tarmaced minor roads often aren't differentiated. (In OSM terms, they're all marked as 'highway=residential'.) That means auto-routing is unlikely to be reliable, and you won't be able to reliably find your way through a backwoods area using the map alone.

The situation is better (but still not perfect) for roads big enough to have a painted centreline. State Routes and upwards are usually ok, though it varies by state.

In other words, don't rely on OSM data as your only or even main navigational tool in the rural US.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

As for the OPs other question - you could share the cost, but Garmin maps are always (in my experience) locked to a single device. I cant even share my maps between my own devices.
Three ideas that might help:
Garmin sometimes do map "bundles " with satnavs, UK and N America is often one of those bundles. Don't know if the same applies to cycle specific devices.
Look into the possibilities of buying your devices in the US - though that might mean problems with updating when back in the UK.
If one of you can take a tablet capable of running Basecamp then youi can get away with only needing one copy of the Garmin map. Plug that unit into the tablet, Basecamp can then use the mapping. Prepare your route in Basecamp and export the gpx file to as many devices as you need. It will still display on OSM mapping - any discrepancies, follow the track and not the map feature. Do try this out at home first!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
revell217

Post by revell217 »

There are a number of sites that offer free OS maps. I have a Garmin 810 edge and loaded maps from the following site, fully navigable.
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/down ... 00810.html

Step by step instructions are also on the site.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

One thing that I forgot to mention is that I have already done my route planning on ridewithps and have created the TCX files, so I don't know if that makes things easier
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

revell217 wrote:There are a number of sites that offer free OS maps. I have a Garmin 810 edge and loaded maps from the following site, fully navigable.

Have you used them for the US and Canada?
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

mnichols wrote:One thing that I forgot to mention is that I have already done my route planning on ridewithps and have created the TCX files, so I don't know if that makes things easier

Oops! I was forgetting that the Edge family use .tcx rather than .gpx Its a track and not a route, so it ought to work the same way as a .gpx track.
The way it was explained to me, features on digital maps are located with respect to an underlying grid. So are the data points on a track which can be seen as a skeleton map that can then be superimposed on other more comprehensive maps.
If you prepare your track on, say, a Garmin map and subsequently use it with the same map you would expect to see a perfect correspondence between the two on screen, and the gps should make sure that you actually are standing on tarmac. If you use it with, say, an Open Source map, the gps will still keep you on the road, but the onscreen match might be a little less consistent. You would just need to remember that the track is the one to believe!
In a group you should be ok as long as one or two have the garmin map, just in case, The others could get away with freebies. I have both on my gps. I like the Garmin in towns. Out of town though the visible features might be reduced to a single coloured line. This is when I like to use an Open Source Ordnance Survey style map for background interest. FWIW the main difference I have noted between the two is missing detail. What there is is usually in the right place - its incompleteness rather than inaccuracy - in the UK at least. I'll be trying French OS later this year

Download a free map and try it for yourself - it doesn't cost, Err, Anything! :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
revell217

Post by revell217 »

I'm in the UK so downloaded those maps. They are full OS maps and also come with points of interest. Just select the countries you require and follow instructions. I'm extremely pleased with them + free and up to date [emoji1][emoji468][emoji468][emoji468][emoji468]
torquerulesok

Post by torquerulesok »

Have used OSM maps in the US with my 800 without any problems. Just download the maps you need on a second MicroSD card and you're good to go.
RickH

Post by RickH »

revell217 wrote:There are a number of sites that offer free OS maps. I have a Garmin 810 edge and loaded maps from the following site, fully navigable.

Just a note, in case anyone gets confused, that you are using OS here to mean Openstreet maps, which is usually abbreviated to OSM to distinguish them from the usual abbreviation of OS meaning UK Ordnance Survey mapping.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

DaveP wrote:As for the OPs other question - you could share the cost, but Garmin maps are always (in my experience) locked to a single device. I cant even share my maps between my own devices.
I'm not in the slightest condoning this, but if you join this forum, you can unlock any Garmin map and copy and transfer it to your heart's content.
http://www.gpspower.net/software-tools/ ... patch.html
Mick F. Cornwall
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

That's terrible - I can feel an attack of conscience coming on even as I type...
Thanks!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks. I've created the maps that I need using the instructions on the dcrainmaker site. Downloaded the route and it all looks fine although a bit light on POI's,so will also have a look at Mick's link