North Sea Route - Norway (Kristiansand - Bergen)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
s_b

Re: North Sea Route - Norway (Kristiansand - Bergen)

Post by s_b »

Vorpal wrote:I haven't tried Stavanger, but most tourist information offices have a stock of cycle maps and information, even if the people working there are clueless.

However, I have often gotten better information from the Den Norske Turistforeningen https://www.dnt.no/ which has shops or offices in most cities. They also have camping cabins that members can use in some places. Many Norwegians consider them a good alternative. It may be easiest to contact them by email.

Other than in Stavanger and Bergen, we've found the tourist offices to be useful - I think it is just a problem in the big busy cities. Bergen had no cycle maps or info last August (they claimed to have run out).
The DNT (in Oslo at least) is very helpful. We use their cabins in the mountain areas - but they don't have cabins near the coastal cycle route so his would only be an option if you head inland, and many/most of their cabins are far from any tarmac.
looserlama

Re: North Sea Route - Norway (Kristiansand - Bergen)

Post by looserlama »

s_b: Thanks a lot for the info about Nedstrand, that actually sounds like a nice little detour! And thanks a lot for the reiseplanlegger website, that seems extremely helpful! And I will try to avoid Brusand camping!

Vorpal: thanks for the DNT link. Unfortunately, since we're mainly going along the coast I don't think we'll be able to use them too much. Too bad though, cause I love those kinds of huts.