Touring in Denmark

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Marjorie Dawes

Touring in Denmark

Post by Marjorie Dawes »

Having already arranged my tours for 2015, I'm already looking forward to 2016 and am planning a leisurely ride across Denmark, from Esbjerg to Copenhagen, taking in the sights. I shall take a lightweight tent, but if it's pouring with rain, I would prefer to stay overnight in a B&B and avoid having to put the tent up. What I would like to know, is whether it's fairly easy to find a B&B in Denmark without booking in advance? I am planning to go in late June, which should be ahead of the school holidays.

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve.
foxyrider

Re: Touring in Denmark

Post by foxyrider »

You do realise that there is not currently any ferry to Esbjerg? Wish there was as i wanted to use it this summer but DFDS stopped running last autumn and the 'new' Regina service has so far failed to materialise :(
Last edited by foxyrider on 11 Mar 2015, 5:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Marjorie Dawes

Post by Marjorie Dawes »

Thanks for that. I had no idea the Regina service was in difficulty. Back to the drawing board! :(
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

If you can get to Ijmuiden/Amsterdam it's quite a nice ride along the coast to Denmark (North Sea Cycle Route). I found it quite easy to find hostels/B&B's, etc in Denmark.

cheers
goosegog

Post by goosegog »

I was looking at touring Denmark in June but found out that the Danish school holidays are earlier in June and July
jaz

Post by jaz »

Hi all. Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but Regina Lines emailed me today to say that the first sailing of the new Harwich-Esbjerg ferry is scheduled for March 12th 2016. Fingers crossed...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

jaz wrote:Hi all. Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but Regina Lines emailed me today to say that the first sailing of the new Harwich-Esbjerg ferry is scheduled for March 12th 2016. Fingers crossed...

+1
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Marjorie Dawes wrote:I had no idea the Regina service was in difficulty.

It never got far enough advanced to get into difficulty, fortunately, as that might imply some fool and his money had been parted. Announcements that someone is starting or reopening a ferry service next spring are a bit announcements that someone has a wondrous new technology to generate electricity using a perpetual motion machine, all it needs someone gullible to stump up some money, and then the prototype can be developed into a practical version for manufacture.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

jaz wrote:Hi all. Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but Regina Lines emailed me today to say that the first sailing of the new Harwich-Esbjerg ferry is scheduled for March 12th 2016. Fingers crossed...

And someone emailed me yesterday saying that there was $36million in a Nigerian bank account that needed my help to get it out.