Fitting a Blackburn Lowrider on a Surly Disk Trucker

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Fretz54

Fitting a Blackburn Lowrider on a Surly Disk Trucker

Post by Fretz54 »

I have a surly disk trucker 2014, 56 frame and also a blackburn lowrider fron rack to be fitted.
Has anyone done this and is it possible. The bike is also fitted with SKS mudguards.
Any sugestions would be most greatful.
Last edited by Graham on 1 Mar 2015, 7:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: A meaningful title is helpful !
loafer

Re: Help

Post by loafer »

Fretz54

Post by Fretz54 »

Yes that the one
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Are you planning on using modern bags with that rack? :?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Fretz54

Re: Fitting a Blackburn Lowrider on a Surly Disk Trucker

Post by Fretz54 »

I have a pair of Carridise front panier bags that I hope will fit.
Fretz54

Post by Fretz54 »

It appears that the rack is not suitable with Carridise bags. Some of the reviews have cut slots so the rack will take the carridise clips, I'm happy to do this as long as I can get them to fit.
loafer

Post by loafer »

Fretz54 wrote:It appears that the rack is not suitable with Carridise bags. Some of the reviews have cut slots so the rack will take the carridise clips, I'm happy to do this as long as I can get them to fit.

hey Fretz
I have the same rack and the same bags... I bought it off here from a guy who modified it so they would fit will get a photo if you like Image
he just put 2 holes in each side look rough but it gets the job done.. :D hope this helps
Fretz54

Post by Fretz54 »

Thanks for the photo. Its a great help.
loafer

Post by loafer »

Fretz54 wrote:Thanks for the photo. Its a great help.

glad it helped you ..I need to to tidy them up a bit .. :lol:
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

I asked about fitting a front rack on the Surly DT a couple of months ago. I got some helpful answers and I done a fair bit of research myself to find a rack that was top quality and easy to fit with minimum fuss. I looked at many but eventually went for the latest Surly Nice front rack which is totally compatible with the Disc trucker with no faffing about at all. Straight out the box and straight onto the bike in a few minutes with no hassle what so ever! I am very impressed at the quality and functionality of the rack. It is a superb bit of kit. Best front rack I've seen by a long way.
Honestly, if it 's within your budget, I'd suggest selling your Blackburn on here or wherever and buying the Surly job. It really is excellent in every way and so simple to fit.
Fretz54

Post by Fretz54 »

Thank you all for your help.
I have now fitted the Blackburn on to the Surly without too much trouble. So I'm looking forward to a summer of touring , first stop is the Isles of Man first week in June then we'll see where we end up. Many thanks again for all your help.

Graham
rolf f

Post by rolf f »

Fretz54 wrote:It appears that the rack is not suitable with Carridise bags. Some of the reviews have cut slots so the rack will take the carridise clips, I'm happy to do this as long as I can get them to fit.

Just for info, a while back I bought an M Part lowrider front rack (basically a Blackburn copy - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-Part-FLRB-f ... 4621fcba30) with the expectation that I'd have to cut slots in it. Despite the picture it came with the slot enlarged to fit modern click fit panniers. See pic - obviously I can't guarantee any other M Part lowriders will be the same but it seems likely!
Attachments
P1010938sm2.jpg