Wild camping in England ???

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Geoff.D

Re: Wild camping in England ???

Post by Geoff.D »

Bicycler wrote:Personally, I have never felt any particular need for secrecy in the unfenced upland areas and that is where I do my wild camping. I think I'd always ask if wanting to camp in enclosed fields etc.

+1
I totally agree. In upland areas it's not difficult to find unfenced areas, both on the "tops" and a bit lower down along the sides of lanes and banks of streams. Arriving late, leaving early, making no mess.......and I've never been challenged. There always seems to be a "spot" somewhere.
thidwick

Post by thidwick »

I recall in my youth doing quite a bit of camping in odd places in England. Often neither "wild" nor "stealthy". Quiet and wide roadside verges, edge of a cricket pitch, nice flat bit just off a golf course, and once on a nice big grassy roundabout. I don't recall being complained about at all. (Except in Ireland: which is a different story). Camp late, leave early, leave nothing behind!
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I ought to have added that I've also "bivvied" in field barns, outbuildings, park pavillions, a cave, under a pier, in a WW2 concrete bunker overlooking the English Channel. It's not real bivvying, in that there's a "roof" above me to keep the rain off, but is a bit more relaxing (not least because you don't need a sweaty, rain-proof layer).

Again... arrive late, leave early, disturb little.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Geoff.D wrote:I ought to have added that I've also "bivvied" in field barns, outbuildings, park pavillions, a cave, under a pier, in a WW2 concrete bunker overlooking the English Channel. It's not real bivvying, in that there's a "roof" above me to keep the rain off, but is a bit more relaxing (not least because you don't need a sweaty, rain-proof layer).

Again... arrive late, leave early, disturb little.

Nice! I found a cracking little cave (!) in some woods a couple of years ago and went back with one of my daughters for an overnighter, only to find it filled with smashed up bottles. [emoji20]Sadness.

I wouldn't necessarily blame teens either. I witnessed 3 mountain bikers on a local trail, in their 20s stop mid-ride for a snack and a bottle of cider each. Very civilised...Then smashed the bottles up and whizzed off down the hill. What?
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I posted a blog, Wildcamping, a guide for first timers.

http://www.farawayvisions.com/wildcamping-a-first-timers-guide/
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Farawayvisions wrote:I posted a blog, Wildcamping, a guide for first timers.

http://www.farawayvisions.com/wildcamping-a-first-timers-guide/

Very good! Another well-versed blog. Thanks for sharing...b
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Thanks Heltor. :-)
davegtt

Post by davegtt »

Toured Europe last year and wild camped 90% of our evenings - no trouble. Got back to Dover and cycled to Portsmouth along the coast and really struggled to find nice spots, we did see a few good places but mainly at 2pm when we still had lots of ground to make up. I dont know if it was my english mentalilty of knowing the areas and being overly cautious where I wouldnt think twice in mainland Europe. I guess if you went further inland you might have found some better fields with cover from the roads etc but nothing near the coast in my opinion.

We then travelled north and from Birmingham up to Mid Lincolnshire via canal routes we found a few more likely places - would have easily been disturbed by dog walkers etc but that never bothered us anyway. I got the feeling the further north you go the easier it would be. Especially we set off from Lincolnshire and down to Harwich and didnt struggle too badly, although we were novices at wild camping.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

In my mountaineering days I have wild camped in Scotland for a week at a time, no bother in various places on the islands, West Coast, Cairngorms etc. In England and Wales I have been more cautious and, like Geoff D, used field barns, caves, bus shelters and the like and more often used a bivvy bag rather than a conspicuous tent. Never had a fire in England or Wales and like the others, leave nothing apart from footprints
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

I found wild camping fairly easy in England, on my recent JOGLE I wild camped every night. You will find a spot, some times you have to ride a little longer than you might want but after a long day riding you seem settle for any where.
One night in Cornwall after a big ride I spied a turn off, I pulled off the road and up the forestry track....it kept climbing with nowhere flat enough to pitch.....up and up I pushed my heavily loaded big dummy..eventually I I found a very tight pitch near the top of the ridge and popped the tent up just before the rain hit. Popped the cork on a bottle of Shiraz and watched the sunset while scoffing noodles...bliss.i also camped on Dartmoor in a big storm which was great fun. One thing which makes life easier is some EU thing, farmers are paid to leave an uncultivated strip about 5 mtr on the edge of many fields, great for wildlife and just big enough for tent :D
England is I busy place but once you get out of the big cities there is always a small wood or field, if your solo and don't leave any trace then no worries. If you leave yourself with wild camping as the only option you WILL find somewhere.
Personally I couldn't tie myself to a booked campsite and either have to slog it or pull-up short. Ride enough, camp, repeat.

Although technically illegal in England your not going to be arrested or harassed unless you pitch up with with caravans,dogs and a rave tent etc.
If you're uncomfortable with the idea of it make yourself do it! Load up the bike and just pedal, don't take a credit card or money, when you get to the point of no return......find a field.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Although technically illegal in England

As I said at the beginning of the thread it isnt illegal (except some new laws about Buckingham Palace and old ones about MOD property?)

I have been caught a few times and the worse that happened was that I was given a cup of tea. :lol:

I have also caught somebody sleeping in my garden and I gave them a nicer place to sleep indoors.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Bigdummysteve wrote:I found wild camping fairly easy in England, on my recent JOGLE I wild camped every night. You will find a spot, some times you have to ride a little longer than you might want but after a long day riding you seem settle for any where.
One night in Cornwall after a big ride I spied a turn off, I pulled off the road and up the forestry track....it kept climbing with nowhere flat enough to pitch.....up and up I pushed my heavily loaded big dummy..eventually I I found a very tight pitch near the top of the ridge and popped the tent up just before the rain hit. Popped the cork on a bottle of Shiraz and watched the sunset while scoffing noodles...bliss.i also camped on Dartmoor in a big storm which was great fun. One thing which makes life easier is some EU thing, farmers are paid to leave an uncultivated strip about 5 mtr on the edge of many fields, great for wildlife and just big enough for tent :D
England is I busy place but once you get out of the big cities there is always a small wood or field, if your solo and don't leave any trace then no worries. If you leave yourself with wild camping as the only option you WILL find somewhere.
Personally I couldn't tie myself to a booked campsite and either have to slog it or pull-up short. Ride enough, camp, repeat.

Although technically illegal in England your not going to be arrested or harassed unless you pitch up with with caravans,dogs and a rave tent etc.
If you're uncomfortable with the idea of it make yourself do it! Load up the bike and just pedal, don't take a credit card or money, when you get to the point of no return......find a field.

+1 Nothing else compares.
One eve running out of light and straining to get a fully laden bike aver a gate which was tied with farmers twine at about shoulder height on a downhill slope :?
Following a bridle path then up hill across a eerily waterlogged semi field and through a field of cows thinking that my light and a mechanical thing with wheels was food :lol: I ended up reaching a dead end forest path with a clearing which was adjacent to a funny remote picnic site with chairs and things..................nice soft leafy grass so I put the tent up in the dark :)
In the morning took me just a minute to find my missed turn and I am off.

Try it............only once disturbed at 01.30 by revellers.................new years day on a track through a wood on the shores of loch Lomond, well you would wouldn't you, I just happened there at the end of the day.
I don't normally camp in woods as its damp and no morning sun..........out of sight and you are no ones gripe, always leave the site clean.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Does anyone know which law it is which makes wild camping illegal in England, how camping is defined, whether common law or statute and whether it distinguishes between private land and say roadside verges and what the maximum penalty is?

Many thanks in advance. BTW I haven't checked through the whole of this thread so apologies if it's already been mentioned.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Know nowt about which law but common land would come under council bylaws?
Private with owners consent no problem for what we are calling wild which I would put as a few nights, unless local bylaws say so?

Penalty.........where's our legal eagle when you want em :?:

As travellers don't get done because they are afraid to do them (I know the law now changed) trespass maybe - not criminal either?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Heltor Chasca

Wild camping in England ???

Post by Heltor Chasca »

horizon wrote:Does anyone know which law it is which makes wild camping illegal in England, how camping is defined, whether common law or statute and whether it distinguishes between private land and say roadside verges and what the maximum penalty is?

Many thanks in advance. BTW I haven't checked through the whole of this thread so apologies if it's already been mentioned.

Not sure of the crossed t's or dotted i's but I've heard in England it has to be above 600m. And as that's somewhere up Skafell Pike it's not that attractive to many. Some by laws exist in Dartmoor and Exmoor don't they?

Same as trespassing, I think you actually have to be doing something wrong like stealing, breaking the peace or damaging property for it to be illegal.

I stand to be corrected...

... Or banged up!
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 12 Oct 2015, 6:47am, edited 1 time in total.