Wild camping in England ???

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Nareloc

Re: Wild camping in England ???

Post by Nareloc »

One of my wild camp nights on the Coast and Castles route. Like others have said, be discrete, arrive late and leave early, leave no trace, and definitely no fires!
Attachments
cc544.jpg
Last edited by Nareloc on 6 Mar 2015, 8:01pm, edited 2 times in total.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Nareloc wrote:One of my wild camp nights on the Coast and Castles route. Like others have said, be discrete, arrive late and leave early, leave no trace, and definitely no fires!

Camping on beaches is a no go for me now. Too much done on the west coast of France resulting in a shot sleeping bag zip, lots of interrupted sleeps by the gendarmerie and I'm sure 'les dents' are shorter from chewing on so much sand...b
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

Personally wouldn't dream of lighting a fire whilst wild camping, there's plenty of camp sites that allow open fires.
Here's a 'how to' wild camping guide. - http://www.cycletourstore.co.uk/wild-ca ... -to-guide/
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Weimarunner wrote:Personally wouldn't dream of lighting a fire whilst wild camping, there's plenty of camp sites that allow open fires.
Here's a 'how to' wild camping guide. - http://www.cycletourstore.co.uk/wild-ca ... -to-guide/

thanks for that. I fancy the idea of free and spend the £ on other things
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

Quite agree, there's a lot of money saved over a long tour by wild camping and you get to be really selective over your pitch [emoji6]
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I rode the Coast and Castles route recently, and wild camped pretty much the entire time. Here's my blog entry about a portion of it: possibly NSFW if your boss doesn't like swearing.

http://bit.ly/1d9ipnE

Cheers

Stef
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

Weimarunner wrote:Personally wouldn't dream of lighting a fire whilst wild camping, there's plenty of camp sites that allow open fires.

I can see that there are instances when a fire would be totally inappropriate but if you never have a fire while wild camping you are missing out on a real big pleasure and a major part of the experience.
There is no problem lighting small fires while wild camping in Scotland. It is allowed. I think the blog you have attached is more about what I'd call stealth camping rather than wild camping. The essence of wild camping in Scotland has nothing to do with hiding so you actually can do it with a bright orange four man frame tent if you want. It is all about being considerate of others who share the land and leaving no trace when you go. That about sums it up. Get yourself up to Scotland and dance round your campfire howling at the moon, you will want to stay here ! :wink:
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

sabrutat wrote:I rode the Coast and Castles route recently, and wild camped pretty much the entire time. Here's my blog entry about a portion of it: possibly NSFW if your boss doesn't like swearing.

http://bit.ly/1d9ipnE

Cheers

Stef

Liked it Stef. I like your warts an all style. :lol:
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Someone who did it a lot wrote an article on wildcamping in England in my club magazine a few years ago. She said be aware that farmers may (1) drive tractors around their fields in the dark with the lights off, and (2) transfer livestock from one field to another in the wee hours.

A German cycle tourist I met said wild camping is really easy in England, presumably in comparison to Germany.
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

That sounds great RR, I'll get myself up there one day.
Wild camping means different things depending where you're touring. In the UK where it's illegal other than at a few national parks a stealthy approach is necessary. I occasionally stay at a camp ground that allows open fires and then I take full advantage of a fire, I don't feel bad about scorching the grass when I'm paying for that privilege.
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

Weimarunner wrote:That sounds great RR, I'll get myself up there one day.
Wild camping means different things depending where you're touring. In the UK where it's illegal other than at a few national parks a stealthy approach is necessary. I occasionally stay at a camp ground that allows open fires and then I take full advantage of a fire, I don't feel bad about scorching the grass when I'm paying for that privilege.

Hi Bud, Your post is a wee bit misleading. I would hate to think people reading this could be discouraged from touring Scotland because of that so worth setting the record straight. Wild camping is NOT ILLEGAL in Scotland nor is it restricted to national parks. In fact the national parks may be the very areas where you will find restrictions on camping! You are generally quite within your rights to wild camp and light a fire anywhere in Scotland as long as you comply with the few rules which are based on common sense. I would never burn a new fire mark into grass. Like I said earlier, if you approach it with the mind set of 'consider the needs and rights of others and leave no trace' It is quite possible to have a small fire and comply with that view.
Stealth is not required in Scotland. Just enjoy responsibly. I don't know how anyone could be bothered with touring freely all day then resort to hiding in a bush of an evening to get a sleep. I can't see the fun in that at all. :?
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

Hi RR, not illegal in Scotland sorry, just England with the possibility of permission wild camping in English national parks. Geographical slip!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Weimarunner wrote:That sounds great RR, I'll get myself up there one day.

RR got there first but I thought I'd missed the referendum that gave independence to Scotland for a moment. Trust me Scotland welcomes wild camping. I have parked my car up by a bridge over a road where the tidal bit ends on a river and pitched for a few days without any problem. Right next to the road on the way to Elgin on Skye IIRC and about 150-200m direct line of sight from the nearest house in neighbouring hamlet. Not one complaint. Amazing views and we got up into the hills a bit too. Relaxing is not the word.

Not tried the naked howling at the moon around a camp fire thing yet but sat around chilling out with mates in Scotland is so easy while camping. Will try the fire thing sometime though.

PS IIRC it is Glenelg the last settlement before the old Skye ferry is a real popular wild camp spot for all sorts from camper vans, caravans, trailer tents, tents, backpackers and cycle campers. They even offer the use of the village hall's shower and bathroom facilities for free. That is about 10-15 minutes walk from the popular sea front camp spots though is on the way to the pub.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Weimarunner wrote:Hi RR, not illegal in Scotland sorry, just England with the possibility of permission wild camping in English national parks. Geographical slip!

The main exception being Dartmoor where you have a statutory right to wild camp on most common land: http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/__data/a ... ap_309.pdf

Personally, I have never felt any particular need for secrecy in the unfenced upland areas and that is where I do my wild camping. I think I'd always ask if wanting to camp in enclosed fields etc.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I looked at the Lee Valley Country Park( North London ) bylaws - camping as defined as using a tent or "erecting" any thing similar is forbidden - but seems that they forgot about bivvy bags plain and simple - you dont erect a bivvy bag?. The Lea valley has lots of suitable places..... aslong as you dont mind being woken by the water fowl quacking.... I had a look up there as far as Cheshunt the last couple of days - a very good widish flat path mostly and quite a nice ride.