Chromebook

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Chromebook

Post by Psamathe »

matt_twam_asi wrote:Darktable can import quite a lot of information from Lightroom's sidecar files - https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/ch ... 8.html.php

Of course, hardware limitations also apply - a Chromebook probably isn't the best device for extensive RAW photo editing so this may all be moot.

Sidecar file are just the metadata (tags, GPS, etc.). Nothing to do with the image editing.

Other photographic packages operate in the same manner (i.e. non-destructive editing). And when Apple dropped Aperture they helped Adobe develop an import to the Lightroom databases so their users were not left "high and dry" (losing years of work).

Ian
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Wandered into another pc world today.

Saw this

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 3-pdt.html

Looked not half bad and definitely cheap enough.

Also looked at a chromebook again and noted that it had only 16 gig of storage - my tablet has twice that - of course you are encouraged to store stuff on google's cloud - you get a period of free high capacity storage but then after that i presume you will pay. Am afraid that this rather smacks of a google plan to rent you your oown computer/take over the world on the sly.

I did rather like the look of the lenovo unit linked tonabove.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Some Chromebooks have 32Gb, but thats still huge and the space is more useable than a card on a tablet. Then theres the SD card slot, easy to double it. Or, plug in a 1Tb HDD, memory stick etc if you dont trust the cloud. Google Drive, Skydrive, Dropbox etc etc

And… thats a Windows PC! Ssssssss. Viruses, Ssssss, Windows Updates Ssssss.. Ugh!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes i realise that you can plug in usb storage al.

Get garmin basecamp on android al and i would very probably jump ship with you.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

That'l be the day they do that…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

On viruses al, why is android less prone to them as you seem to imply?
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:Wandered into another pc world today.

Saw this

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 3-pdt.html

Looked not half bad and definitely cheap enough.

Also looked at a chromebook again and noted that it had only 16 gig of storage - my tablet has twice that - of course you are encouraged to store stuff on google's cloud - you get a period of free high capacity storage but then after that i presume you will pay. Am afraid that this rather smacks of a google plan to rent you your oown computer/take over the world on the sly.

I did rather like the look of the lenovo unit linked tonabove.

that Lenovo device might be rather useful. Windows 10 like 8.1 has a nice maps application. Unlike 8.1 maps can be downloaded and stored on disc & used offline, so could be useful for touring. All depends on the battery use. 9 hrs seems rather too good to be true for such a cheap item? cant see it has gps

but look at some of these reviews -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B016BB8V84/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Sweep wrote:On viruses al, why is android less prone to them as you seem to imply?

Dont know about Android but on Chromebooks Google take care of all virus issues in the Chrome operating system so no need to install anti virus software. I suspect its the same as with Apple stuff, fewer folk use them, they are not so attractive as 'takeover' servers for criminals, so they remain virus free.

Al
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote:Dont know about Android but on Chromebooks Google take care of all virus issues in the Chrome operating system so no need to install anti virus software. I suspect its the same as with Apple stuff, fewer folk use them, they are not so attractive as 'takeover' servers for criminals, so they remain virus free.

Al

Have never understood this reasoning to be honest al. Chrome, android, apple hardly obscure/rare. And apple users could maybe be assumed to be high net worth, even, if you were cruel, maybe folks with more money than sense** so maybe attractive targets.

** written by someone who once suffered at the hands of apple equipment thanks to a design-led employer who was seduced by them.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:
that Lenovo device might be rather useful. Windows 10 like 8.1 has a nice maps application. Unlike 8.1 maps can be downloaded and stored on disc & used offline, so could be useful for touring. All depends on the battery use. 9 hrs seems rather too good to be true for such a cheap item? cant see it has gps

but look at some of these reviews -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B016BB8V84/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent

Thanks for the amazon link mercalia. Those reviews are very varied/confusing, though lots of positive ones for sure. The keyboard felt very good to me for the price. I also have a lenovo laptop which has a good keyboard. It was impossible for me to check the keyboard/tablet-screen linkage when i saw it due to the way PC World displayed it. I saw it in the croydon high street branch, a handy pedal for you i think.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I see the new iPhone has been released. Its the same size as the original! I always thought chocklate block slab phones was a stupid idea, try fitting one in your pocket. Its a bit faster than the old ones so no doubt some iSheep will buy one. The revolution is spluttering now.

Al
Ray

Post by Ray »

I became convinced some months ago that I'd like to buy a chromebook and, having read lots of reviews, decided I'd go for the Toshiba 13inch -http://www.toshiba.co.uk/laptops/chromebook/chromebook-2/toshiba-cb30-b-104/
Unfortunately, this coincided with that model going out of stock just about everywhere. I've no idea why this should be, and I'm beginning to wonder whether I should go for another make of chromebook rather than waiting for the Toshiba to re-appear. Presumably, Al, you would recommend the Acer that you bought?

I see this as possibly the first step in weaning myself off Apple; both my Mac and my iPhone were someone else's cast-offs, and I can't see myself justifying replacing them with the latest Apple products, however seductively jewel-like and effective they may be!

Which leads me to another question: would the next logical step be to replace the ageing Mac desktop with a chromebox set-up? Has anybody any experience of this?
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
barrym

Post by barrym »

Take a look at Acer's new 14", all aluminium bodied Chromebook. UK launch is imminent. I'm going to have one soon ad there available.

As for Chromebox, a friend of mine had one. If you want or need a big screen, or full size keyboard it's the way to go. As I understand it usage is identical.

BTW, did you see CBs outsold Macs in the US in the first quarter of this year?
--
Cheers
Barry
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanks, Barry. The Acer 14" does look very interesting; do I put myself on the waiting list (as with the Toshiba) or do I let my impatience get the better of me and grab what is currently in the shops? I suppose only I can answer that.

Yes, the chromebox does provide a far cheaper alternative to the super, but ageing, big-screen Mac that I am using now. I think that's where I'll be heading - once I've tried the chromebook.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
barrym

Post by barrym »

HP have also announced a new high end cb, but slightly smaller at 13". Not read any reviews so can't really comment.

You may have ready hat google now supports android apps on chrome OS. If that might be attractive for you there's a web page that says which CBs are compatible. Think it was a google page, but its recent and a search should fond it. If not let me know.
--
Cheers
Barry