Anyone ridden from Locarno to Domodossola?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
raybo

Anyone ridden from Locarno to Domodossola?

Post by raybo »

I am trying to create a route from Locarno on Lago Maggiore to Domodossola. There is only one road with a couple of long, dark tunnels, as far as I can tell. The route goes through Santa Maria Maggiore on SS 337. On the way down to Domodossola, there are some long tunnels. Specifically, one that bypasses Paiesco, for which there appears to a bypass road. But, the photos on Google show lots of construction and I can't tell if the bypass actually meets up with the road past the tunnel or not.

Has anyone ridden this route?
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
raybo

Re: Anyone ridden from Locarno to Domodossola?

Post by raybo »

I got this reply from a personal email:

Sorry but you’re out of luck on this one. In many cases the tunnel builders leave the old road in place, but here unfortunately the tunnel blocked the old road. This screenshot from Google Maps shows the problem. If you go onto Google Streetview you can follow the road from (going towards SM Maggiore) into the tunnel and see what I mean. if you look carefully you’ll get a glimpse of where the old road ends.

The tunnel if pretty well lit (if you go on Google Streetview you’ll see what I mean) and the road surface is pretty good. However, bear in mind that there is a 9% gradient (or at least there’s a sign saying a 9 per cent gradient, but I don’t think this is the average gradient for the whole tunnel) - the good news is that if you are going towards Domodossola in that you’ll be quickly through the tunnel, but the bad news is you’ll be going fairly quickly (unless you keep the brakes on of course). I’d definitely wait to give your eyes time to adjust. I think it’s a good idea to carry a light that allows you to see by, for emergences - although in this case you probably won’t need it.

Alternative options are to go through Ascona (you’ll probably need to push through the pedestrian area) avoiding the tunnel that’s off-limits to bikes and then follow the lakeside road to Cannobio - or climb to Malesco and then descend to Cannobio. I’d suggest either getting the boat from Cannobio to Luino, or the ferry from Verbania to Laveno, and then following the road on the quieter eastern side of the lake to Sesto Calende. Don’t miss the Eremo di Santa Caterina.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

raybo wrote:... specifically, one that bypasses Paiesco, for which there appears to a bypass road. But, the photos on ...

... either OFM and Velomap exhibit at least four alternatives:
1. A service road
2. The river
3. A forest path
4. The rail

... now, out of jokes and once on the place, I think that alternative 1 or 3 definitely will work !!

foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You could give the Swissmobility site a throw http://map.veloland.ch/?lang=en&route=all - high grade mapping including this slice of Italy.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!