Bar end shifters or STI

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Phil66

Bar end shifters or STI

Post by Phil66 »

So it looks like I’m going to buy a Surly LHT but there’s just one thing I’m not too sure of and that’s the shifters.

It comes with the bar end type but I’m not keen because I have a dodgy back and don’t fancy reaching down that far all the time. Spoken to the shop and they won’t charge to swap them so will just be the cost of the STI, about £180, so I don’t mind going for them.

I just wondered what you guys think, is one better than the other. Bar end shifters seem a bit old fashion to me.

Cheers folks.
pwa

Re: Bar end shifters or STI

Post by pwa »

I used to use STI and came to the conclusion that they are more trouble than they are worth on a tourer. The front indexing is a pain, trying to get it so that there is no rubbing chain on a triple chainset. With bar end shifters the reach is just a slight move of the hands, no further from your shoulder than the brakes. I tend to saw off a little of the bar to get the shifters in the right place for me and completely eliminate any chance of knees catching shifters. Bar end shifters are also cheaper than STIs to replace when they wear out. For me STIs are for racers, Bar Ends are for tourers.
beardy

Post by beardy »

is one better than the other

I doubt it but some people prefer one to the other. Personally I prefer the finger tip gear change as I change gear very frequently and on rough ground and other times dont want to have to move my hands to change gear. Also you can brake and change gear at the same time.

The simplicity and reliability of the bar end levers is not something I feel the need of because the STIs are reliable and durable enough.

I agree that some front shifters on an STI can be a bit of a pain having to feather them but others behave themselves, I have both.
ndmbike

Post by ndmbike »

I've toured with both phil and quickly got used to the bar end shifters. I didn't think I would.
I had been planning to change them to STIs but after an entertaining afternoon trying to tune the front derailleur STI after a bump I shall keep with the bar ends.
pwa, out of interest, how much did you saw off? I am planning to do this as well but don't want to take them too far - it is not really reversible after all.
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I bought an LHT some years ago with bar end shifters. I dislike them for several reasons. Firstly, as already mentioned, you have to take your hands off the bars to shift, secondly, changing gear, for example moving a lever upwards, will actually put some steering input into the bars, very slight, I know but I found it noticable (OK, Princess and pea, I know). Thirdly if you are inattentive and take your hands off the bars when you stop, with panniers and bar bag fitted on the front, sometimes the bars will swing over and the bar ends jab you in the thigh.

On the plus side, I liked the friction shifting on the front and it is a simple and cost effective system. For me, however, the disadvantages outweighed the benefits. My solution was rather different, my LHT now sports butterfly (trekking) bars and easyfire shifters. Whatever your final choice, I'm sure you will be delighted with the bike.
neilob

Post by neilob »

My recommendation would be STI every time for comfort, safety, reliability, and about every other reason. They are far more durable than some people infer and I just don't hear of failures. One argument often used for bar end shifters is the ability to go friction but (even though I have never used it) I just carry a spare downtube shifter when I'm on tour. Admittedly my frame has the bosses so they can be fitted. And how does the £180 for the STI work?? That seems a lot to me unless you are going high end. If its Shimano you are using, I don't see any point going above Sora and ideally 9-speed so probably half that amount would be right.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
pwa

Post by pwa »

ndmbike

I can't remember exactly how much I sawed off. I took no chances, though. I rode the bike around and looked at how much space I needed on the lower part of the bar, allowing for the fact that the shifter effectively adds a little when installed. Even with STIs I saw a bit off because I don't like my hands too far from the brakes when on the drops. That last bit is just dead weight for me.

As always. measure twice and cut once.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Bar end shifters for me. You could always relocate the end of the bar :D .
More here.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pwa

Post by pwa »

Phil66

perhaps you should just get the bike with the bar end shifters it comes with and give them a chance. Cut the bars down a bit if it helps. If you don't get on with the shifters you can change later. Simple.

I don't have any issues with using bar end shifters. It doesn't affect my steering at all. The hand doing the shifting remains partly holding and steadying the end of the bar with the thumb and index finger forming a grip, and the palm and other three fingers tilting the lever up or down. And I don't hit my legs with them. Braking and changing gear at the same time is something I found awkward with STIs so I don't miss it with bar end shifters. And after binning 2 sets of Ultegra STIs a few years back I don't trust them in the long term.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Bar ends for a tourer - nothing to go wrong, cables* don't foul a barbag, cable replacement is simple if one breaks, indexing adjustments from cable stretch (or removal of rear wheel) can be ignored by switching the RH rear changer to friction. Much cheaper than STi

No contest.

Don't laugh but the other option is a retro approach with stem mounted changers (like downtube changers but with a clamp on the steerer part of a quill stem) ... I have my winter bike fitted with them (admittedly with straight bars) and am just wondering whether to change the bar ends on my Galaxy (with drops ... but I ride on the top/hoods unless there's a fierce headwind) to stem mounted (I have an NOS pair I found on the bay)

* the cable outers can be taped along the bars, under the bartape, to about 4" either side of the stem before they turn to go down to the stops on the downtube (rather than emerging from the bar tape on the curve of the drops) ... much tidier (and it DOES work despite what the LBS man said!)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I am lucky in that my sti on my Dawes 1-Down are ancient 8 speed rsx. These have been very reliable and havent been adjusted in some time. no chain rubbing, nothing. The good thing is that they dont have any trimming - which I hear is the bug bear of modern sti systems. Does any one know if the modern Claris 8 speed sti needs trimming? if not then that may be the one to go for? ( does 9 speed?) Certainly some kind of finger gear control near the brakes is desirable as it allows u to change gear minute by minute as the road changes? any thing else is truly no-way.
Last edited by mercalia on 27 Feb 2015, 9:16pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

I have bar-end shifters on my drop bar converted mtb, I use compact bars and set them high and find them easy to reach.

On my LHT I've put the bar-end levers onto Retroshift brakes (now called Gevenalle).

I prefer them over STI as I can use V-brakes, mix and match gear components, and no fine-tuning of gears needed.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Don't change the shifters.....change the brakes/levers for Vee brakes..... :wink:
promeneur

Post by promeneur »

I've used STI since they exist (early nineties,is it?) And travelled everywhere with them .
last year i bought a tourer with bar end shifters and just have traveled 5000 km in south east asia. Well,it's perfect!
Definitely more fun with STI but less problem with the bar ends....
Conclusion : I have two bicycles .in europe i use STI and in developing countries i prefer bar ends shifters.
if i had to keep only one bike i would stay with STI...