Weight distribution.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Re: Weight distribution.

Post by foxyrider »

Why is the bike swaying? Had a good opportunity the other night to observe my shadow from behind - no swaying even honking up hill. Am i to believe that not all bikes go in straight lines? :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:... If you carry the weight in panniers, that weight has to be swung to and fro too. This consumes energy. With a trailer, the bike still sways to and fro, but the weight is on the trailer, so less energy is consumed.

well the only time I have ever fully loaded my Dawes 1-Down front and back ( some time ago with my COTTON tent lol ) I never had any "swunging", in fact was solid as a rock.
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

It's been really good to hear all the views on this subject. Seems everyone has their own preferences and even these depend on loads and roads. having viewed the video from America by bike I do get the feeling that a 40 rear and 60 front combination would be slightly better at balancing a bike with a fairly upright position than an opposite loading configuration ? It does seem that some of our French cousins take that to the extreme and prioritise the front load. So, what can I take from this ? Hard one really! I suppose experience, personal build, position on the bike, total weight carried etc, etc all have to be considered. There will be no right and no wrong, as with many bike related issues it looks like a case of bear this in mind but do what suits you and your style of riding. This means I'll have to figure out a way to get Mrs Raider to carry 4 while I carry two. :wink:

Thank you for your replies. :)

Cheers
Jim
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

foxyrider wrote:Why is the bike swaying? Had a good opportunity the other night to observe my shadow from behind - no swaying even honking up hill. Am i to believe that not all bikes go in straight lines? :lol:
Yes, you should believe it.

I, just like you, am a steady solid rider. No swaying from me.
However, just watch other cyclists. Not all (by any means) are like you and me.

One thing I have noticed about towing a trailer, it makes you pedal smoothly. The "pulsing" you get from pedaling produces a tug-tug-tug from the weight at the back. We had someone on here a couple of years ago complaining that his trailer tugged him rhythmically, and I pointed out to him what the problem was.

Yes, not everyone has a smooth action.
Mick F. Cornwall
TimP

Post by TimP »

If there is not going to be too much weight on your wife's bike, then don't bother with the front panniers - it is nice to have responsive steering. However, if there is to be a reasonable weight on the bike, then add the front panniers or a bar bag to balance things up - but not 60% up front. I would say no more than 30% up front to stop the steering getting too sluggish. Also, under braking the weight acts further forward, so another reason for not overloading the front.