Weight distribution.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ANTONISH

Re: Weight distribution.

Post by ANTONISH »

I've used front panniers on a couple of tours. I like the way they spread the weight and generally my touring bike handles well.
The drawback I found was when I came to roadworks in Bagneres de Bigorre last year. I found myself sharing a narrow newly laid section with lorries and decided to move to the adjacent footpath - all was ok until my left pannier caught on an ornamental planter. That rotated the front wheel and caused me to fall heavily. One of the road repair crew kindly helped me up but I'd pulled muscles in my back which made cycling uphill very painful. Put paid to my planned route.
I don't think a rear pannier would have caused the same occurence.
Heltor Chasca

Weight distribution.

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Come on be honest! Front panniers also look the part. Lots of us are complete gear heads. I've only just acquired front panniers and I'm yet to use them. I've previously only cycle camped with rear bags and tent etc. The extra room up front spreads the kit out pretty logically and will make food/wine shopping much easier. PLUS it looks so darn cool [emoji41]

Erm. I might just think of a caveat for the above statement while I'm nose down in the next head wind [emoji302]
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

andrew_s wrote:Traditionally, French cycletourists put most of their gear on the front, but their bikes are designed with front-loading in mind.

I'd be interested in any more info about this, as all the French cyclists I know use the standard big panniers on the back, small (if any) on the front. Are we talking about a long time ago? What sort of bikes are designed for front-loading?
meic

Post by meic »

That surprises me. Doing Semaine Federal we used to have fun spotting the nationalities of cyclists. One of the ways to tell the French from the others is that they had barbags and/or front panniers with nothing on the rear.
A Carradice saddlebag was an easily spotted Brit. :lol:
Other Europeans would have rear panniers rather like the British who didnt have saddlebags.

I did really like those French bar bags which were set up with all sorts of goodies to occupy yourself with while riding.
Yma o Hyd
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I'm not sure when it changed, but I haven't seen any people loaded like this: http://site.cty.free.fr/images/historiq ... ique12.jpg I have only been touring for a few years though!

I got my bike from a touring bike shop in Paris, the only frame options were Surly or Fahrradmanufaktur...
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

jamesgilbert wrote:I'm not sure when it changed, but I haven't seen any people loaded like this: http://site.cty.free.fr/images/historiq ... ique12.jpg .

He has to have those big bags on the front as his wife sits on the rear carrier. :lol:

I prefer to avoid having panniers both front and rear as I often use trains. It's bad enough fitting the bike in with rear panniers and bar bag, which have to be removed, without adding front ones as well.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

jamesgilbert wrote:I'm not sure when it changed, but I haven't seen any people loaded like this: http://site.cty.free.fr/images/historiq ... ique12.jpg I have only been touring for a few years though!

I got my bike from a touring bike shop in Paris, the only frame options were Surly or Fahrradmanufaktur...

That's exactly what I remember seeing, but we're going back 20 to 30 years. It does seem to have changed since then.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

MrHJ makes ME carry the extra weight on my bike slow me down!

Ps I prefer rear panniers only
, less temptation to overload.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tasmania '88. Not too bad at all.
Wombats.jpg
Wombats.jpg (60.46 KiB) Viewed 634 times

Helmsdale JOGLE '94.
My first foray with four panniers.
Helmsdale.jpg

My bike felt like a tank, so the next time I went off touring, I bought a trailer. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've not checked the weight distribution between front and rear panniers but I ride with a single rear Ortleib roller classic and a tent at the rear and a bar bag and two small Carradice panniers on the front. Mrs Whoof rides with a single Ortleib roller classic on the rear rack and a bar bag. When we get to a mountain I take her rear pannier. Last year riding up the Ventoux this made things pretty even.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I think it depends hugely on the geometry of your bike's steering and how wide (and what type) your handlebars are. In my experience 90's MTB frames seem quite happy with rears only even with a full 13kg camping load. It also depends on how much stuff you take! I wouldn't want 20kg on the rear only, regardless of steering, simply to reduce the load on the rear wheel.

Load your bike up with the heavy stuff, get it to balance then give the light remainder to your wife. She might need front panniers for bulky things like sleeping bags.
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

what hamster said.

It depends so much on your bikes, your relative weight/fitness, routes and what type of touring you are doing. If you are camping AND cooking, its hard to avoid front panniers. Not that you would want to on most touring bikes because they are designed to be front loaded. On my old 'touring bike' (basically a mtb with solid forks) I loaded 60:40 front/back and it still handled like a blancmange!, but with my new dedicated touring bike that has a rear-heavy Rohloff hub, I now load more like 55:45 or probably 50:50 with bar bag and it handles beautifully. Ms Slogfester has just 2 rear panniers on her 'touring' bike (a hybrid with derailleur) and is OK, but she is erring towards having front panniers for better handling. Weight distribution between us is dictated by our relative strength and terrain. I carry all the heavy camping/cooking/food stuff. If its steep/long and I'm pulling away, I grab some of her inner bags. On the flat it makes little or no difference.

Front low rider racks are brilliant for handling, but -yes- can lack clearance off-road, so either use smaller bags and/or high-rider racks.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

jamesgilbert wrote:I'm not sure when it changed, but I haven't seen any people loaded like this: http://site.cty.free.fr/images/historiq ... ique12.jpg I have only been touring for a few years though!

I suppose she sits on the rack at the back? thats why no panniers there?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:My first foray with four panniers.
My bike felt like a tank, so the next time I went off touring, I bought a trailer. :D

I would prefer not to use a trailer as it adds maybe 6-7 kg extra weight? But as I am heavy I dont have much choice until I lose some weight
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, a trailer is heavier than racks. I wouldn't argue with that at all.
The thing is, weight isn't the issue.

With a trailer, the weight is on the trailer wheels and all you do is trundle it behind. Yes, it's slower up the hills, but on the flat you wouldn't know it was there, and downhill it gives you a push. You lose accelleration, and you have to give time and distance to your braking, but that would be the same no matter how you carried the weight.

Also, there's some science involved. When you ride a bike, there is a little swaying to and fro involved. If you carry the weight in panniers, that weight has to be swung to and fro too. This consumes energy. With a trailer, the bike still sways to and fro, but the weight is on the trailer, so less energy is consumed.

Read this:
http://www.carryfreedom.com/wp-content/ ... cience.pdf
Mick F. Cornwall