Weight distribution.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rannochraider

Weight distribution.

Post by rannochraider »

Hi Folks, Just giving a little thought to the 'fair' distribution of a joint load between me and Mrs Raider's bikes for some planned trips. We had been considering if we were each going to take front and rear panniers. There was some initial thought that the 'gentlemanly thing' to do was to pack my bike a wee bit heavier thus reducing the load for the Mrs and perhaps so far as to negate the need for her to use a front pannier set. Sounds reasonable, but having looked into it a little there seems to be a school of thought that there is merit in dividing whatever load is being carried between 4 panniers at all times with a 60% load on front, 40% on rear so as to provide better balance and handling characteristics during the ride.
It makes sense to me but Mrs Raider disagrees and reckons I'm trying to pull a sneaky move on her.
We are both pretty experienced riders but we are real novices when it comes to touring with fully loaded bikes.

We'd be delighted to hear what your thoughts / experiences are on this?

Cheers
Jim
BeeKeeper

Re: Weight distribution.

Post by BeeKeeper »

I'm not sure about the 60% front 40% rear, I would have thought it was more like 25% front 75% rear. Having said that I have now got rid of my front panniers and fitted a frame bag. Front panniers are not needed if you are not camping and even camping I am going to do without them from now on. This assumes warm weather of course!
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I don't think I've ever heard of someone having heavier front panniers than rear, maybe it's the other way round? There was quite a lengthy discussion about the pros and cons of front panniers here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=89652
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I will make 2 points.

I bet if your Missus starts with 2/3rds full, she will soon have full full!

Does she like riding with front panniers? Some do (balance etc) some happier without (me). Maybe this could be used as the deciding factor.
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

I have gone cycle-camping with both two and four panniers: with only two, the front wheel is inclined to 'float' and as soon as you try to push the cycle by holding the bars, the rear flops over! Using four panniers for the same load, none of them is fully packed and the balance of the bicycle is good. Initially the steering may seem strange but this soon becomes unnoticeable. One thing I soon discarded because of instability was the bar bag, which will turn the bars when you least expect it to! The front bags do not carry the same weight as the rear, and this will be determined by the geometry and construction of your cycle as to whether some shimmy is introduced.
beardy

Post by beardy »

simonhill wrote:I will make 2 points.

I bet if your Missus starts with 2/3rds full, she will soon have full full!

Does she like riding with front panniers? Some do (balance etc) some happier without (me). Maybe this could be used as the deciding factor.

As do I, if I have large panniers they soon fill up with food. When I go to a supermarket I will buy the large bargain bags of apples and the three for a fiver beer offers etc. With limited luggage capacity I can not stock up quite like this.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

This is a subject close to my heart. I look forward to the replies with interest. My configuration is bar bag and rear panniers and stuff on the rack. I hate the idea of front panniers although I have never tried them. All that weight on the back has caused me problems in the past. I like the idea of frame bags - must learn how to sew!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pwa

Post by pwa »

Firstly, as already mentioned, the amount of stuff you need to take is something to decide. But assuming you are camping, and that your bikes handle well with front panniers, there is a lot to be said for the extra carrying capacity those bags give you. A touring bike can be very stable with some weight either side of the front wheel. My missus once kept up with me at about 45mph on a descent in Switzerland with front and rear panniers!

Front panniers are normally lightly loaded with bulky items that don't weigh too much (eg sleeping bags). The rear panniers still take most of the weight. 75% seems about right to me. When camping I have found that I take on extra stuff mid afternoon at shops, stocking up for the meal I am preparing that evening. So very lightly laden front panniers can offer the free space to put your groceries for that final hour of cycling.

Have a good time.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

jamesgilbert wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of someone having heavier front panniers than rear, maybe it's the other way round? There was quite a lengthy discussion about the pros and cons of front panniers here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=89652

A long time ago in Ireland I bumped into a couple of French ladies on a long tour but hosteling/b&bs. They just had 2 large front panniers only and were very happy with this arrangement. I was camping and added small front panniers to my large rears, this also worked well for me until I lost one front pannier when I tore down a steep straight lane only to find that the surfacing ran out in the dip at the bottom, brought home how important it is have a well secured and balanced front load!
beardy

Post by beardy »

I have made the decision that I am willing to trade off any handling issues for the weight savings.

I often tour (and ride) with a very rear heavy bike, I can feel that this causes handling problems especially off the bike. However I soon got used to it and the bike which I do it to is very good at taking it.
On a 200ish mile weekend tour I may feel it is an issue a couple of times. Most of the time I feel like I am not on a fully loaded tourer so much as a slightly heavy Audax bike. It is most noticeable when I am carrying my food shopping as well as camping gear. Without my weight on the bike the front wheel goes skyward at the slightest provocation. On the plus side I can get through obstructions like kissing gates very easily, just pop it on its back wheel and push it through.
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

jamesgilbert wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of someone having heavier front panniers than rear, maybe it's the other way round? There was quite a lengthy discussion about the pros and cons of front panniers here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=89652

I thought it quite unusual advice but it may well be geared towards getting an even distribution of overall weight across the length of the bike? It sort of makes sense if you look at it that way. The video from the Adventure Cycling group and America bicycle is quite clear on the advice..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to0YTIj_tyY

weight distribution in panniers is covered approx 1.00 minute in.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

60/40 rear/front is ideal (remember the barbag is part of this) I think others have mentioned all the major points and of course you want to keep the weight low for stability - especially on the front! Don't fill the bags but do weigh them, with two bikes it should be fairly easy to spread the load to give you best performance.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Unladen, mine's 61/39, but I only use rear panniers, so it's 68/32 fully laden.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
irc

Post by irc »

Last tour my front panniers were 2.9 and 3.1kg. My rear 3.3 and 3.7kg. Including the panniers themselves. No handlebar bag. Before food which would have evened out the rear panniers somewhat. The only handling issue I've ever had was a slight front wheel wobble at certain speeds. Traced to having a half full 1l fuel bottle in a front pannier. Moving fuel to a rear pannier sorted it.

Having front panniers equal weights seems logical though I haven't tried unequal weights.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I prefer the handling with a reasonable proportion of the weight on the front. I usually end up with about a 40/60 front/rear split, but that's largely dictated by the relative pannier size.
Traditionally, French cycletourists put most of their gear on the front, but their bikes are designed with front-loading in mind.

If you aren't used to loaded touring, and you intend to take a larger share of the load, take more than your share of communal kit (i.e tent/stove/fuel/tools) rather than any of Mrs Raider's personal stuff.
Inexperienced tourists can do things like take full size bottles of shampoo, separate conditioner, deodorant, shaving foam etc rather than just a bar of soap, or soap and shampoo decanted into a little bottle. Having to carry the excess teaches you not to take it next time.