Flying with German Wings

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jamesxyz

Flying with German Wings

Post by jamesxyz »

I've got a flight booked to Cologne with germanwings.com. Their policy states that the bike must be in a cycle bag or box. Will the CTC poly bike bag or a cardboard box from the lbs be enough or are they expecting the more 'formal' (expensive & bulky) ones? Has anyone had any experience of this airline?

As an additional point, has anyone cycled from the airport to the centre of Cologne? Are there suitabele bike paths?
Cheers
F70100

Re: Flying with German Wings

Post by F70100 »

Regarding cycle paths from the airport, have a look at http://www.ridewithgps.com. Select the "plan" tab and choose the OSM Cycle map (top right corner of the map) and I think you'll find what you need.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

When they say box, they almost certainly mean a bespoke cardboard box for carrying a bike. The sort you get for free at your LBS or occasionally supplied by the airline.

Bag is more open to interpretation. You could argue the CTC poly thing is a bag they may agree or disagree.

I always use a box to save any arguments.

One airline included bag wrap as an option, I used domestic clingfilm and got away with it. Not recommended, but very portable!!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Suggest you speak to the airline to confirm their requirements.

Do you need to go to Koln? If you are headed there for a rail head or booked accommodation that's one thing but you can get a bus from the airport to Bonn Hauptbahnhof quite cheaply, an altogether more pleasant experience with a bike, they run @ every 15 mins, the coach into Koln is less bike friendly! Any cycle route from the airport into Koln will not be very pleasant taking you through lots of industry and if you are heading to the centre, a very traffic busy and less than bike friendly environment. Central Koln really isn't somewhere to take a bike unless you need to.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
jamesxyz

Post by jamesxyz »

For future reference, German wings eventually replied to an email I sent them confirming they do accept the CTC bike bag.

Foxy rider, how is the bus to Bonn 'bike friendly?'
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

jamesxyz wrote:For future reference, German wings eventually replied to an email I sent them confirming they do accept the CTC bike bag.

Foxy rider, how is the bus to Bonn 'bike friendly?'

just turn up and get on, something you can do on most German public transport although there are certain times when this might be restricted in some areas.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
jamesxyz

Post by jamesxyz »

Does this require thenbike to still be boxed \ bagged it can you just ride up and get on?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

jamesxyz wrote:Does this require thenbike to still be boxed \ bagged it can you just ride up and get on?

You should be able to get on with a built bike, but in a box no issue at all - other than the physical element!