Turkey april2015

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
eamonn1942xll

Turkey april2015

Post by eamonn1942xll »

We are biking APRIL/ AUGUST from ANCHORA TO CAPPADOCIA THEN EAST TO KONYA ISPARTA PAMUKKALE EPHESUS AND THEN ACROSS TO GREECE / ALBANIA / ITALY /fRANCE . WE SEEK FACTUAL ADVICE ABOUT THE ROAD FROM ANCHORA OUT TO GORMEME PLEASE are there placeses to access water and food as I am told its a total wilderness this particular route? any other advice is appreciated we cant access decent topographical map of turkey! BREIGE
ankaradan

Re: Turkey april2015

Post by ankaradan »

I presume you mean Ankara.

Sites like this allow you to plan routes here, although their accuracy as to minor roads and tracks is questionable.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

The scenery south east of Ankara isn't too inspiring, very arid, but there are plenty of villages, most of which have public drinking water suppies, as well as many taps set up by the side of the roads. Many villages have little else though, no shops or cafes.

The road from Golbası, (just S of Ankara) through Bala to Köprüköy and Kaman to Kırşehır is a nice cycle ride. From there you can follow the river to Avanos, which is on the edge of Kapadokya, although I've not cycled that far.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

If you haven't already looked try www.crazyguyonabike.com and enter places you plan to visit in the search facility. For example Cappadocia will lead you here: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 60886&v=Mp
smith4188

Post by smith4188 »

I've been to Ankara but no further east but I've seen quite a lot of Turkey west of Ankara. None of it was wilderness. There were always towns every few tens of km and garages where you can stock up and where you're usually treated to a free tea and a chat. Turks are friendly. That is, unless you go during Ramazan (Turkish Ramadan). Turks are miserable during the holy month. Go when they are friendly.
http://www.EuropeByBicycle.com - Country-by-country touring info for 54 European nations and disputed regions
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

This year Ramadan starts on June 18th, though it can be the 19th or even 20th since religious authorities refuse to rely on calculations and require visual confirmation which can be impeded by clouds, glare of the sun, etc - it's particularly tricky trying to spot the new moon the instant it occurs because it is very close to the sun in the sky and moonset is very close to sunset at this phase. It will last until 16 July, ish. So you have potentially got a couple of months or so to get out of the place before Ramadan comes along.

Just in case you were wondering, Muslims in Tromso (there are some), which will have no sunset during this year's Ramadan, observe fast using the sunrise/sunset times in Mecca, thus finding a way of being permitted to eat. But probably there are many Muslims in places not quite so extremely north, eg Britain, who will be trying to fast for 18 hours or so per day.
pal

Post by pal »

Just in case you were wondering, Muslims in Tromso (there are some), which will have no sunset during this year's Ramadan, observe fast using the sunrise/sunset times in Mecca, thus finding a way of being permitted to eat. But probably there are many Muslims in places not quite so extremely north, eg Britain, who will be trying to fast for 18 hours or so per day.

Funnily enough, I was wondering about that (that is: how Norwegian Muslims cope with midsummer Ramadan) just the other day! Thanks for solving the mystery...
hondated

Post by hondated »

pal wrote:

Funnily enough, I was wondering about that (that is: how Norwegian Muslims cope with midsummer Ramadan) just the other day! Thanks for solving the mystery...

Another great source for information.
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/