Marathon Dureme tyres

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
22camels

Marathon Dureme tyres

Post by 22camels »

Does anyone know if this is the "right" version of the Duremes:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYSCMDT/sc ... lding-tyre

or some other less durable version? Just I know there's some ambiguity with e.g. Mondials where one version (Evolution line) is way better than another (Performance line) and don't want to be caught out.

I heard good things about Duremes though they might have been discontinued it appears there's stock left. Thinking of getting some for a forthcoming Iceland trip and beyond.
Mistik-ka

Re: Marathon Dureme tyres

Post by Mistik-ka »

We've been using the tandem-orioented version of the 26" Dureme for a couple of years, and really like them. Excellent on gravel, surprisingly agile and quiet on tarmac, but not happy-making in mud. (Mud's not a big issue most of the time on the Canadian prairies.)
irc

Post by irc »

I bought a pair of Duremes (wire beaded version) which were so slow and harsh riding I removed them after 20 miles and never used them again.

They felt so slow I was prompted to do a roll down test comparing them to the Vittorias I replaced them with. The Duremes were indeed 10% slower. And that was on a hill steep enough to have end speeds at 25mph where air resistance would be mattering as much as rolling resistance.

That said for a tough tyre for on/off road use the Duremes will fit the bill. Your not anywhere near Glasgow - I've a pair going free to a good home.

Edit - probably a goood choice for Iceland actually.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

I wasn't really questioning the qualities of the Dureme, just wondering if the one in that link which seems like a good deal, is the genuine version, or some lesser version, because I know Schwalbe's naming system for tyres is quite complex.

I'd be looking at the 26x2.00 ideally folding, but not really sure if I want it for more than the Iceland trip yet..