Orange / Vaucluse / Luberon - ideas?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pwa

Orange / Vaucluse / Luberon - ideas?

Post by pwa »

Hi

I've just plunged in and booked myself, my missus and my daughter (16) on the Bike Express coach to Orange for late August. Yes, I know its quieter at other times of year, but late August it has to be. We have a touring background and my wife speaks fluent French, so all should go well. We will be cycle camping.

Does anyone have any route suggestions for the Vaucluse. I know about Mont Ventoux, but the area to the east of Orange is a wonderful maze of minor roads and lumpy landscape. I would welcome any info on specific bits of road so that I can patch together an interesting route. We have about 2 weeks but mileage will be a modest 30 miles a day to avoid mentally scarring my family.

Ta.

Pete Walsh
pwa

Re: Orange / Vaucluse / Luberon - ideas?

Post by pwa »

Oh, and I don't want to include the high alpine passes, eg Cayolle, Bonnette. I've done them before and much though I love them I am conscious that my daughter will not see the funny side.
whoof

Post by whoof »

There's also some great stuff to see to the West of Orange. We did a circular tour from Avignon a few years back that went through Orange and over the Ventoux. We then headed for Vaison La Romaine and West to Pont D'Arc and Pont du Gard. Guarde
pwa

Post by pwa »

Thanks Whoof, I'll take a look at that over the weekend. I went along the edge of the spectacular Verdon Gorge many years ago, so I may try to build that in. I suppose I'll build a list of attractive places then find attractive roads to link them.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Was down that way 10+ years ago. Ventoux, yes, but also Col de Murs, Le Beaucet, Gordes. Watch out for the prices in Gordes: we sat down on a restaurant terrace towards lunchtime and they wanted 36€ for a salad.

And watch out for the insects:
Have we got time for another cuppa?
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

We did some cycling in this area in 2012 and very pleasant it was too. You might get some ideas from this journal : http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Nice
The Gorge de Nesque was pleasant - very quiet compared to the touristy Gorge du Verdon. We weren't camping but no doubt you will find campsites if you plan ahead.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

^^^Liked your blog.

Maybe a bit far from Orange, the Gorges du Tarn and the Gorges de la Jonte are spectacular. There are vultures on the cliffs over the Jonte: if you swap the bike for boots one afternoon you can climb up the cliff paths and see them flying past about 30 feet away.

Other pleasant places: I'm fond of Carpentras, and there's a good hotel at Le Barroux. We stayed there in cherry season first time we did the Ventoux, and on our evening stroll found that there were cherry trees growing by the roadside free for anyone to help themselves from. The hotel was in a "mas provençal" (think "maison") with metre-thick walls, wonderfully cool after a day's cycling. The owners were from London but the food was 100% local.

If you're into junk/antique shops, Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is good for an evening stroll.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Interested in the hotel Audax, would that be Le Mas de la Lause? Just looked up on Trip Advisor and it sounds good.
I went on Chris Ellisons CTC tour which is east of Orange,(highly recommended and still going), it is based in Buis de Barronnies and all round that area is memorable, very good day rides from there.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Thanks everyone. Some really helpful stuff there. I have the detailed maps and the choice of good routes is enormous. This area is as near as I know to a cycling heaven.
goosegog

Post by goosegog »

Orange is worth exploring , Arc de triumph and Roman open air theatre. Heading for the Luberon , Pernes Les Fontaines - Isles sur la Sorgue - Fontaine de Vaucluse-Vanasque.
The Luberon is very busy but being on a bike you can get away from the tourists . Gordes is worth a visit with the photogenic Sananque abbey round the corner. Roussilion and Apt. The southern part Menerbes -Lacoste -Bonnieux -Lourmarin. There is a wonderful ride on top of the ridge near Bonnieux The Route de Petit Luberon it goes west to Cavaillion.
To the north of Mont Ventoux, Vaison la Romaine -Malaucene - Montbrun les Bains -Sault -Gorges de Nesque.
I hope this gives you a few ideas when planning you routes.