Canal towpaths

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
chalky

Canal towpaths

Post by chalky »

My wife and I have cycled on canal towpaths in France, but are thinking this year of sticking to Gt. Britain, mainly England and Wales.
Any suggestions as to rideable towpaths for say 100 miles or so, we would also need to pick up B&B en route.
My wife's favourite idea at the moment is the Kennet & Avon.
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Canal towpaths

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

That's the best you'll get - it's the most rideable of all the towpaths, in rural areas at least. Be prepared to detour along NCN 4 (on lanes) along the central section, which avoids a narrow and muddy stretch.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Heltor Chasca

Canal towpaths

Post by Heltor Chasca »

+1 for the K&A. Instead of a cycle guide, buy the Collins canal guide. It's so informative and the map inserts are from the OS maps so are to scale. It shows places to stay, eat and visit. Happy travels...hc

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nicholson-Guide ... 0702841676

EDIT: You can do Bristol - London or VV
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

I know its not England, but I live next to the Forth and Clyde canal and a wee jaunt from Glasgow to the Falkirk wheel and back is a nice 50mile leg warmer
....certainly nice for folk touring Scotland to fit in if they're in the Central Belt.
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

Hi Allan , How is the Forth and Clyde towpath ? Are we talking mountain bike tyres or would standard road bike tyres be ok?

thanks
Jim
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

rannochraider wrote: How is the Forth and Clyde towpath ? Are we talking mountain bike tyres or would standard road bike tyres be ok?

I don't know about the western part but we meant to cycle from Edinburgh to the Falkirk Wheel via the F&C a few years ago (part of the day's ride from Kelso to Stirling) - we gave up before Linlithgow and used the roads instead. It wasn't impossible but it was very slow and not very much fun. Too many rough bits of path, narrow slippery places under bridges etc. We were on loaded touring bikes.

I suppose it might be OK with robust tyres if you really weren't in a hurry.
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

Thanks for that bud, I've never been on the canal path at all. I am from the west side but quite fancied a ride from the Glasgow end to Edinburgh, overnight stay and return so it's all relevant.
Thanks
Jim
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

Hiya Jim, I can't comment on the Union Canal from Falkirk to Edinburgh as I haven't done it, though I can't imagine it being any worse than the Forth and Clyde. I pedal along the canal from Glasgow and find the path surface is pretty good for the entire route. I am on a tourer with 700/32 and have no worries whatsoever. Its mostly tarmac; either smooth or with a fine gravel on top. A few stretches, generally out of towns, are unsurfaced, but hard-packed....not a surface I would hit at 30mph on racing skinnies, but acceptable with a wee bit of care......a wee bit of care is required under some bridges, mainly due to the narrowness, but hey....its a towpath!
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

Thanks for the reply Allan. I'll be starting from Glasgow too. It sounds like it'll be just fine for me. Looking forward to giving it a visit.

Cheers
Jim
whoof

Post by whoof »

The Kennet and Avon is very nice. Sections can get very busy in good weather at the weekends.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

rannochraider wrote:Thanks for the reply Allan. I'll be starting from Glasgow too. It sounds like it'll be just fine for me. Looking forward to giving it a visit.

The path is pretty good as far as Falkirk, with just a few stretches of potentially muddy bits, and these are gradually being surfaced properly. Beyond Falkirk it is not nearly so good and personally I wouldn't do it unless there had been several days of dry weather.

If you want to add a very pretty out-and-back detour, at Kirkintilloch you can change on to the Strathkelvin Railway path to Strathblane, which is very well surfaced and a very pretty ride. There are lovely views of the Campsies and a great cafe at Milton of Campsie, not to mention Big Al's bike shop, Wheelcraft.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

The K&A is indeed very nice. My only comment for the OP would be that if you are "touring" it, you can easily do the whole length in 2-3 days even if you're not strong cyclists. Being a canal it is mostly pretty flat, apart from at Devizes. Depending on how long you intend to take, you might want to extend the trip or plan some side excursions. There are plenty of nearby attractive places to explore - e.g. Bristol (especially Clifton (steep hills) and docks); Bath; Bradford on Avon (steep hills); Savernake Forest; and lots more. I live near the eastern end and am happy to suggest local excursions if you're interested.
chalky

Post by chalky »

So far it seems K & A is the favourite. Scotland a bit too far. We live in S. Shropshire and think we would like to travel with bikes by train otherwise if we take a car it means parking it somewhere then re-tracing our journey to get back to it. All in the pipe line at the moment.
I think we would do it mid-week rather than the busy times at weekends.
Thanks everyone for their help.