Pannier Inventory Lists

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Heltor Chasca

Pannier Inventory Lists

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I've taken a lot of inspiration from Gary's kit lists from his tour across Afrika from his http://www.longbikeride.co.uk site. I've enjoyed his lists and organised ways and I've been transformed in the way I think about loading up.

In the past, even when doing remote stuff in Afrika, I've tended to 'fly by the seat of my pants'. If I forgot something: tough luck or make a plan. If I over packed: chuck it or carry the burden. This all refers to hiking BTW.

Now I'm older I like a bit more comfort and I'm generally not far from life. Less than an hour max here in the UK and Europe. In France I found cans of Brut 33 where you wouldn't expect!

My point is: At 40 and now with older kids and a bit more time on my hands, I can plan a bit better. More me time. For the first time ever I've made a list. Not just one list, but 1 for every pannier! It's a new concept. COMPLETELY stress free, an interesting peruse AND I've shaved off loads of unnecessary pannier weight just because I can visualise what's on board.

I guess as a gardener by trade, what I am looking at is a series of 'planting plans' except on a bike. I'm chucking out all my old irrational ways and I'm very excited about trying a new organised, almost Zen approach so I can get the most from my limited free time on my bike.

Oohuuumhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm [emoji120]

EDIT: If I have the guts I might even post a list of my inventory...hc
Vantage

Re: Pannier Inventory Lists

Post by Vantage »

I'll be rearranging mine soon and hoping to try it all out at some point this year.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=90160
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I love making lists and I keep trying to reduce how much stuff I take. However, making a list per pannier doesn't really work for me, especially on longer tours when I end up reorganising my panniers depending on what the weather's doing, how much food I need to carry, how many maps I've accumulated (I post them home every so often), etc.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

This thread (although it also has discussion of women-specific items) has a good list and discussion viewtopic.php?f=42&t=85590
And this one is about minimising viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48438 but is also pretty comprehensive.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
jaydeepee

Post by jaydeepee »

I love those minimising lists of kit as they make so much sense. Lugging my own carcass weight around is enough. Carrying less kit is obvious.
PH

Post by PH »

Easy Peasy
Left pannier - all bedding, radio, book and washkit in drybag
Right pannier - Clothes, in clean or dirty bag
Saddlebag - daystuff, inc jetboil, waterproof, repair kit, spare gloves, food and anything else that might be needed between camps
Bar bag - valuables, wallet, phone, camera etc...
Tent on top of panniers and rack.

All up weight around 12kg, this does me for two weeks non extreme touring. With minimal cooking and wearing mostly the same on and off the bike.
IMO the big advantage of being organised is the time it takes to set up and pack away, I like to have had a coffee and be cycling within half an hour of waking up.
shane

Post by shane »

Get some digital kitchen scales too, then you really start throwing stuff out. Its shocking how heavy some things are that you " might" need :)

Its great to keep track of what you take each time, write down what you didn't use or missed then adjust your list. Unfortunately my trips are each so unique that I keep starting from scratch :) The evolution is amusing to see though :)

25kg heavy weight touring in Africa
25kg lightweight touring in winter
10kg bikepacking
jaydeepee

Post by jaydeepee »

PH wrote:Easy Peasy
Left pannier - all bedding, radio, book and washkit in drybag
Right pannier - Clothes, in clean or dirty bag
Saddlebag - daystuff, inc jetboil, waterproof, repair kit, spare gloves, food and anything else that might be needed between camps
Bar bag - valuables, wallet, phone, camera etc...
Tent on top of panniers and rack.

All up weight around 12kg, this does me for two weeks non extreme touring. With minimal cooking and wearing mostly the same on and off the bike.
IMO the big advantage of being organised is the time it takes to set up and pack away, I like to have had a coffee and be cycling within half an hour of waking up.

This is exactly how I like to travel.I've learnt from years travelling not to over-burden myself and to limit my movements weighed down with extra kit.
That's a good list, I shall note it.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

How many panniers? I've just sold my front panniers and will now have two rear, frame bag and bar bag. Hope it all fits!